We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit next year

London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Visit next year

Hi,

Thinking of going next year for 3 weeks and staying at the blau hotel.

for some reason I am still unsure whether cuba is the place or to go to another carribean island. I've read the reviews for the hotel and they seem to be good. One issue is food. I do like to go somewhere and experience a good selection and quality of food.

Any advice, convincing would be appreciated or recommendation of other places to go would be good thanks.

I like a relaxing holiday with a great beach and possibly spending a couple of days in my holiday doing the odd visit.

Thanks all for any help

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
433 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit next year

Hi,

I'm also having the same problem! I've been to Punta Cana in the DR twice and loved it, but unsure whether to book the Gran Bahia Principe on the Riviera Maya or go with the Blau/Laguna Azul in Varadero next year.

Another factor is the GBP in Mexico and the ILA Cuba are coming out at the same price for the weeks I want to go. Decisions, decisions! :)

leeds
Level Contributor
249 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit next year

it doesnt matter where u stay

i did 3 weeks in dom rep many years ago and it was great but trust me it was harder to come home than after 2 weeks

food in both mexico and domrep is very similer, there is certain foods that are hard to come by, mexico is much more expensive of the 3 dom rep has more to do then cuba but not as much as mexico

but the beauty of cuba is its unspoiled, just peacefull chilling location but do a couple of trips to see the history and you will fall in love

Montreal
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit next year

Hello there!

My two cents... it depends whats important to you.

I've travelled to Cuba five times, my preference being Varadero. I've also been to a Riu in Jamaica and to the GBP Coba in Riviera Maya this past April.

Without question, the food at the GBP was the best I've had on vacation. I gained nine pounds in seven days, just to give you and idea. The resort was much more luxurious than anything I've experienced in Cuba.

The thing is, I travel for surroundings, for peace, but mainly, the BEACH. That of the GBP in Mexico was a huge disappointment. Seriously I'd compare it to swimming in a lake. Varadero beach is completely breathtaking. The people we encountered in Cuba were much nicer than those in other places.

Depends what you go for, but even without the luxury I vote Cuba for the simplicity, the beauty and the warmth of it. You won't find the commercial feeling in Varadero that you will in Mexico, or Jamaica.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
433 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit next year

Hi CubaJunkie!

I was really tempted by the GBP Coba for next year, but the size of the property having to get the carts everywhere (other half has knee problems)has put me off slightly.The fact that I love salsa and would like to visit Havana has made me choose Cuba and the Iberostar Laguna Azul....and I've booked up this morning!

A little early I know, but 13 months today and I'll be on that plane! ;-)

Debs

Montreal
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit next year

Enjoy!!

Don't get me wrong the Coba was beautiful but yes, too big. I prefer smaller resorts. Cuba has my heart anyway :)

I'm off in 41 sleeps and counting back to Varadero for our fall trip!

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
433 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Visit next year

Thanks, I'll probably be back asking lots of questions nearer the time.

Wow, not long for you then, enjoy your hols!

7. Re: Visit next year

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2011, 05:18