We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No smoking at the Blau?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
No smoking at the Blau?

Is it true? Just noticed in the Sunwing description that it states the entire property is nonsmoking. Does that include outside? I've heard of no-smoking policies in restaurants, rooms, etc but never resort wide

PEI
Level Contributor
528 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No smoking at the Blau?

Smoking outside was permitted outside including pool area.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,615 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No smoking at the Blau?

Its fun to smoke in the pool... the ashes look neat as they dissipitate

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
637 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No smoking at the Blau?

I'm so glad! I had asked this question and nobody answered....guess I missed that in the hotel description :s

Do they really allow everyone to smoke by the pool? Oh well....we'll just hrad down to the beach and try to find an area away from smokers :)

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
166 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No smoking at the Blau?

Another reason I may pick this resort for my April trip .

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,370 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No smoking at the Blau?

Not to be rude, but isn't half the point of going to Cuba...smoking Cigars?

With all due respect, if I want to have a cigarette or cigar outside or in an "allowable" open air structure, in Cuba, isn't that kind of the point?

If you want a non-smoking destination, why would you go to a locale noted for it's smoking devices? There are loads of destinations in the Carribean that are smoke free and I applaud. But I think going to Cuba and wanting a NS environment is like going to Jamaica and asking to be left alone by dope dealers.

Midland, Canada
Level Contributor
977 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No smoking at the Blau?

I totally agree with the above poster..while in varadero last feb a friend i was with lit a cigarette outside,not inside,a woman came up and started yelling at her about smoking,my friend said well i'm sorry but i am outside and you are the one that came over to me. the woman left,came back with a cup of water and threw it in my friends face,omg i was mortified. I really thought there was going to be a catfight,lol..security was called and that woman was told that smoking was permitted and if she didnt like it then she could just leave cuba all together. So like the above poster said,if you want somewhere non smoking you had better rethink going to cuba..just my two cents.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No smoking at the Blau?

As an ex smoker and mild asthmatic, I have absolutely no problem with smokers smoking in designated areas, I will simply find another spot. But what really, really infuriates me, as happened recently in Camaguey airport are people smoking in clearly designated non smoking areas. We go into the lounge area as it is NS, and every time without exception, someone will come in and light up. What makes it ironic is that there are no ashtrays on the tables so they have to ask for one, and it is freely given to them!. So can't win :)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
637 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: No smoking at the Blau?

I really don't think the point of going anywhere is to smoke. To me, the point of going to Cuba is to have a relaxing vacation, experience something new, and enjoy my time with my family. Having cigarette smoke blown in me or my child's face is not my idea of relaxing. I would never base anything I do on the availabilty of things to smoke. I also don't think "cigars", when I think "Cuba". You think differently, and that's fine, but to think the point of going to Cuba is to smoke cigars is a little ridiculous.

However, I can respect the fact that people in this world smoke. There are by-laws and designated areas for a reason. As long as smokers can respect that, there is no problem.

Toronto
Level Contributor
428 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: No smoking at the Blau?

A lot of smokers go to Cuba, as there are not too many places left where you can smoke freely, including by the pool, beach, bars, outside seating areas. You can somke everywhere including your room. At all resorts in Cuba. So for a lot of people, part of the point of going to Cuba is that you can smoke. I wouldn't light up if kids were sitiing at the next table, but you have a perfect right to if the place is packed. You can't complain if someone is smoking where they are allowed to smoke.

Edited: 02 October 2010, 17:15
Montreal
Level Contributor
1,918 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: No smoking at the Blau?

If the area is not airconditioned, you can smoke. The only non smoking areas that found last week at Blau were the elevators, the buffets and the a la carte restaurants.

Since I am a smoker, none of this was an issue for me.

Some shots from the trip

bwkphotography.com/Places/…1023038142_cyBXD