We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a Car while in Varadero

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Renting a Car while in Varadero

Wha'up?

I will be in Varadero the first week of Jan. 2010 staying at Aguas Azules wiith my family of 5.

Can someone help with some basics regarding car rental.

1. Can you rent a car for only one day? Everything I have seen expects a minimum 3 days.

2. Recommend a reliable car rental. Is this from my hotel, airport or other location?

3. What size vehicle do you suggest for 5?

4. Average cost for I should expect to pay for large vehicle at this time of year?

5. Does my Gold Visa card with car rental insurance allow me to decline local insurance?

6. Is it best to make reservation before hand or while I'm there?

Walk Good

Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,614 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a Car while in Varadero

2 years ago I tried renting for one day and it was no problem. Arranged it through the hotel and they came to pick me and my fam up to to go the rental agency. I dont drive standard so I ended up hiring the guy behind the counter to be our guide for the day. Depends on the card... I checked beforehand with CIBC Aerogold and yes coverage is included if you pay with it. Double check your card or better yet call.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
96,793 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a Car while in Varadero

1. You can rent a car for one day but your free mileage will be limited to 100 kilometers after which you will be charged 35 centavos for every kilometer above the 100 free allowance.

2. I would rent the car from the car rental desk at your hotel if you only require the car for one day..

3. You will need a medium sized car such as a Seat Cordoba, Peugeot 307, Peugeot Partner, Kia Rio or Hyundai Accent.

4. Will be around 100 CUC for 1 day rental plus insurance.

5. You won't be able to decline the local insurance.

6. As you only want the car for 1 day not worth renting in advance. If you want more than 1 day check out this site to book before you go:

www.nashtravel.com/carrental.html

Incidentally I think you meant to say you are travelling in January 2011.

Cuba
Level Contributor
13,053 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a Car while in Varadero

Hola

If you plan to just travel a short distance to Cardenas or Matanzas on that day then a cab may suffice. Both are arond $40 CUC each way. There is a hop on hop off bus to Matanzas as well for $10 per person. Ride all day last bus back to Varadero is 5 pm.

particuba.net/villes/…_MatanzasBusTour.html

Mardi

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a Car while in Varadero

Tanks Bellagio and Mardi. Yes, I meant to say Jan. 2011.

I plan to rent the car to take my family to Havana for the day. I believe it will be more cost effective and allow us more flexibility than either a tour, hiring a cab driver or taking the bus.

I believe it is 140 KM between the two cities. So the total mileage for a return trip will be approx. 300 KM. If what you say is true and it is 35 centavos for every kilometer above the 100 free allowance - I must budget an additional $70.

So that said, the rental, insurance, additional mileage fee, tolls? plus gas should cost be around $210 for the day. Correct?

If so, is it possible to find a driver who can do a day trip and tour to Havana from Varadero for a family of five for the same price?

I looked into the bus - it just seemed very hectic and cost added up as well.

Ova

Cuba
Level Contributor
13,053 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a Car while in Varadero

Hola

First week in January ... Including Jan 1st???

The christmas week and new years is a high season for rentals so costs high and availbility low.

If late on the first week then this all changes.

And complete cost will depend on vehicle size etc.

That's a bit of driving for one day, although I've done worse, Cardenas to Jaguey Grande to Havana to Cardenas in one day plus the tripping around havana.

Use public/attended parking and pay the 1-2 CUC. Watch for the radar trap entering Havana outskirts. Follow a bus ... LOL

Toll near Varadero is $2 CUC.

Mardi

Edited: 25 October 2010, 19:59
Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
96,793 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting a Car while in Varadero

Mistalova:

Personally speaking for a one day tour to Havana from Varadero for a first time visitor to Cuba I wouldn't dream of recommending you rent a car, precisely the opposite, no matter what the cost saving.

I would definitely look at other avenues.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,552 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting a Car while in Varadero

Ditto Bellagio x 100.

Cheers,

Terry

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
4,096 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Renting a Car while in Varadero

As per recent internal regulations now Seasons are divided into:

Low/ High/Peak

Good luck with your one day rental on Peak Season in Varadero!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
133 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Renting a Car while in Varadero

I would never rent a car in Cuba. Please see the news report below.

All News Yahoo! Canada News

Mon Aug 2, 8:33 PM

By Dan Robson, The Canadian Press

TORONTO - Cody LeCompte will have to wait a little longer before he's able to come home.

The 19-year-old from Simcoe, Ont., has been unable to leave Cuba since a car accident in late April.

Last week Cuban police agreed to let LeCompte's family post bail for 2,000 Cuban pesos or about C$100, on the condition that he return to Cuba for a trial.

But after expecting to return home Tuesday, it's now unclear once more just when LeCompte will be able to leave country.

A representative from Sunwing Travel informed LeCompte's uncle, Gary Parmenter, Monday evening that a restriction on the teen's passport has not yet been lifted. "Right now, we've been told by Sunwing his passport is not unblocked and we're not going to get out of here (Tuesday)."

The document releasing LeCompte's passport has been signed by the prosecutor, but it also has to be signed by a representative of Cuba's foreign affairs department.

The ordeal began three months ago, when the rental car LeCompte was driving was side-swiped by a pick up truck.

His mother and uncle were passengers in the car, along with his uncle's Cuban fiancee.

Parmenter's fiancee was severely injured and needed an operation to remove part of her liver. She has since fully recovered.

The driver of the truck was not injured.

LeCompte's mother was later told that drivers must be 21 to rent a car, but the rental agency allowed her son to drive even though his licence showed him to be 19.

A few days later the family tried to catch a flight home, but LeCompte was told that he could not leave the country.

Since then, the ordeal has cost the family more than $30,000.

A government issued advisory says accidents are a frequent cause of arrest and detention of Canadians in Cuba, and accidents resulting in death or injury are treated as crimes. The onus is on the driver to prove innocence.

LeCompte must return to Cuba for a trial, which will determine if he faces any charges for the accident. If he is convicted, the family has been told he could face time in a Cuban prison.

Edited: 26 October 2010, 02:55
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,552 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Renting a Car while in Varadero

VacationNut,

There's almost always two (or three or four or...) sides to every story. The Canadian media's reporting on that situation was an embarrassment.

Here's another opinion: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147270-i91-k38172…

Cheers,

Terry