We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Havana Highlights

Pembroke, Canada
Level Contributor
151 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Havana Highlights

We are staying in Varadaro, and this will be our first time visiting Havana. I was wondering what everyone enjoyed doing/seeing the most? We will only be taking a day trip, so I will have to make the most of the time spent there. I love taking photos {scenery/architecture/people} and would love to spend time in the older part of the city, as compared to the newer sections. Maybe a nice lunch out, but we want to be back to the resort around the supper hour, so no Tropicana show. Any suggestions?

La Ronge, Canada
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Havana Highlights

We paid to take the tour bus from our resort to Havana and back... did not do the tour with the group, but rather wondered around Havana ( old part ) on our own for the day. That option cost less and gave us the freedom to wonder around at our leisure and not be herded like sheep.

We ate lunch at Roshlia De Castro, which we were told was once Castro's mother's house... not sure how true that is, but the meal was fantastic!! It was really nice to wonder around the city on our own at our own pace. The architecture is awesome as well as the statues... there are so many of them.

Havana was one of the highlights of our trip, it's a beautiful and amazing city. Enjoy!!

Brantford
Destination Expert
for Varadero
Level Contributor
2,073 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Havana Highlights

We also did the same thing as Travel4fun56,we went at our own pace and visited what we wanted and when we wanted .

Edited: 26 October 2010, 09:32
Toronto
Level Contributor
267 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Havana Highlights

I also enjoy taking photos of the old architecture, and just walked around Old Havana at my own pace with my camera. In Parque Central there are several hotels with rooftop bars, and Hotel Parque central also has a rooftop pool. These give a great vantage point for taking unobstructed photos.

Here is a link to a clip I made with my photos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emM-_9II1Wc

Edited: 26 October 2010, 23:49
Pembroke, Canada
Level Contributor
151 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Havana Highlights

Thanks for the help everyone. I was wondering if we took the bus tour, if they would let us wander around on our own, guess they will! Travman68, your photos are wonderful! I can't wait to see Havana. I wish my daughter was going as well, we have had some great times taking photos together! Too much to see all in one day...

Kentville, Canada
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Havana Highlights

if you want to wander around by yourself, just make sure you know when and where you'll meet bus and get bus number. in old havana there will be literally hundreds of similar buses.

Pembroke, Canada
Level Contributor
151 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Havana Highlights

You are right there, I can only imagine... I'm also considering a taxi, although likely more expensive, maybe it would be more flexible time wise.

La Ronge, Canada
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Havana Highlights

You won't need a taxi... just write down the number of your bus and the bus stop you are told to meet at. Get a map of Havana and go from there. Walking around and talking to people and seeing things that way was really interesting. This was our first trip to Havana ( 1st to Cuba ) and we had no trouble at all. You have the whole day and you'll see that it's lots of time to take in plenty of sites. The map is easy to follow.

calgary canada
Level Contributor
445 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Havana Highlights

How many people live in Havana ?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,551 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Havana Highlights

2,000,000+.

Cheers,

Terry

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
112 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Havana Highlights

We took the bus any stayed with the group. They gave 1 1/2 hr free time. Unfortunatly this is right in a tourist hotspot. EVERBODY wanted a peso for for or that. Once away from that 400yard square thats easy picking, then no one really bothers you . If you go then wounder around on your own if you can.