We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

the star rateing how does it workes

toronto
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Topic
the star rateing how does it workes

what the differnt beteen 31/2 star and 4 star resort and who give the resort they stars

Halton Hills, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: the star rateing how does it workes

Hello,

I believe each tour agency rates the resorts. One tour company may say 4 stars while another will give it a 5. I have been to a 3.5, 4.5 and 5 star. With my experience the ratings were right, but your best to do a lot of reading on this site to check reviews

Lethbridge
Level Contributor
200 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: the star rateing how does it workes

Star ratings don't apply strictly to "quality" of the resort. Amenities such as number of restaurant/bars; food service i.e. lobster nights, huge buffets as opposed to smaller selection of food; activities offered; location (i.e. closeness to cities); watersports equipment available; pool size/jacuzzi; etc. can make a difference in star rating.

Use star rating as a guide, but know what YOU want from your vacation and research accordingly. Its your dollar, have some idea of what you're buying.

Tour company brochures usually include what their star ratings signify.In some cases, a higher rating could mean that package offers a beachfront room as opposed to a garden location.

We have stayed at many lower rated resorts and enjoyed them more than a 5 star. All depends on your expectations and personal tastes.

Lethbridge
Level Contributor
200 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: the star rateing how does it workes

I should clarify - when saying we've stayed at many lower rated resorts, I didn't mean specifically in Cuba, but throughout the Caribbean and Mexico as well.

Bracebridge, Ontario
Level Contributor
710 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: the star rateing how does it workes

We have been to about 8 resorts in Cuba from three stars to five stars (Paradisus Rio de Oro) and the stars are usually quite accurate FOR AMENITIES. Most complaints with the system come from people going to resorts that offer what they don't want. The Rio de Oro had some of the best amenities I have seen but we didn't like it as much because we wanted friendlier staff and guests, nicer beach and a more laid back approach. As mentioned before figure out what you want and do the research or ask on the forum for suggestions, just be sure to ask for what you want.

New Brunswick Canada
Level Contributor
760 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: the star rateing how does it workes

We have a tight budget but love to travel so price means everything.

We end up mostly staying at 31/2 star resorts in the DR, Cuba and now Jamaica.

Rooms have always been clean but, tend to be older. The beaches have always been great, the food and drinks have always been more than adequate and the staff has always been good. We have had friends from 5 star places visit us and they liked our resorts as much or more than the ones they have paid hundreds and sometimes thousands more than we did.

We are not picky, always go intending to have a great time and we always do, have never had any big complaints about the 31/2 star rated places but I would not go lower than a 3.

Hope this helps

toronto
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: the star rateing how does it workes

thanks ranger you reply made a lot of sence we too are on a buget and not that picky we will be going to a 31/2 star resort in feb but not sure wich one will waite for sell off deal thanks for all thoes replys

New Brunswick Canada
Level Contributor
760 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: the star rateing how does it workes

fun4fun

Keep an eye on selloffvacations.com and redtag.ca they have some amazing deals out of Toronto, I have used both companies in the past. Check them dayly as the change without notice and the good deals go quick. Got an AI 31/2 star leaving from Halifax Feb 20 for $608 pp, usually TO is much cheaper.

also gotravel direct has some great deals of they day but I am not sure if they fly out of Toronto.

toronto
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: the star rateing how does it workes

i think the star are pick by the traval agents