We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from Iberostar Laguna Azul! LOVED IT!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Just back from Iberostar Laguna Azul! LOVED IT!

Just got back from the ILA and LOVED IT!!!! We had a blast!

I would recommend this resort to everyone. I was so worried before I went about getting sick or not having a great time but I never got sick and my boyfriend and I loved every minute.

If anyone has any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,819 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back from Iberostar Laguna Azul! LOVED IT!

What was the clientele like? Many families or mature singles. Any guess on what % from other countries or areas of Canada ? How full was the hotel and beach?

Any word on the new hotel under construction beside the SLS (not the Riu)

Are travel companies from the UK offering it soon as we need a new 'hotel blog' now that the Riu is open.

wikimapia.org/…b

Thanks

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
4,444 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back from Iberostar Laguna Azul! LOVED IT!

The RIU is now open ???

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back from Iberostar Laguna Azul! LOVED IT!

When we were at the ILA there were lots of families with small children and teens. There were also lots of couples ranging in age from 20s-70s. If you do not want to go to a hotel with lots of children maybe pick one with 16 and over. There were lots of children there.

I found the hotel to be about 75% french speaking (Quebec) when we were there. We met a few British couples and a German couple so I think there were quite a few Europeans staying at the hotel. I did not think there were many western Canadians at this time.

Hotel was full to capacity and I did find the buffet way to busy for my liking. Beach was fine, always found beach chairs and a cabana to sit under.

Canada
Level Contributor
243 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back from Iberostar Laguna Azul! LOVED IT!

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it. We are booked for January and I always get a little worried about where we book because of the negative nellies out there.

I would imaging with most resorts the clientel changes all the time based on when schools are out and holidays etc. I find there are jerks everywhere as well some great folks to talk to as well.

I have a few Q's:

can you snorkel off the beach?

Do they have boogie-boarding?

Was the Riu construction loud?

Canada
Level Contributor
190 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back from Iberostar Laguna Azul! LOVED IT!

Do you have a map of the grounds or can you tell me the identity of the buildings? We'd like to stay closest to the beach, away from the RIU construction (closer to SLS where we stayed last year) and away from pools and potential for early morning/late night noise. From the aerial views posted on this forum there seems to be a building that fits the description but I wouldn't know what to call it so that the travel agent knows for certain what to ask for. Someone posted a map of the SLS grounds after they returned and we found it very helpful in picking a room last year. Thanks.

Burlington, Ontario
Level Contributor
3,121 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just back from Iberostar Laguna Azul! LOVED IT!

You want building 19. Near beach. Not near construction (which wasn't an issue mid-September regardless of where you were).

www.flickr.com/photos/debbiescrr/4385130870/

Edited: 03 November 2010, 13:53
Mont Tremblant...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Largo
Level Contributor
6,352 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just back from Iberostar Laguna Azul! LOVED IT!

Building 20 is also a great location!

Toronto Canada
Level Contributor
445 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just back from Iberostar Laguna Azul! LOVED IT!

Glad to hear that you had a good time,12 of us going in Feb.Is there Karaoke ?They say there is pool table, where is it located ,in a spot where there is a good crowd at night ,or is some dissolute room ? Is there a beach party ?Car rental at hotel?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just back from Iberostar Laguna Azul! LOVED IT!

We stayed in room 14321 facing the quiet pool but facing the new construction of the Riu. Did not notice the noise when the patio doors were shut. If sitting on the balcony this was an issue but we requested to move and the front desk said the whole hotel was booked. At night when we sat out there was no noise. We actually ended up liking this room as it was really close to the pool, lobby, buffet, other restaurants.

I would recommend getting building 19 or 20 like others said.

There is no beach party, but there is a disco. Did not really go there much but it looked fun. I think there was a pool table in the main lobby as well as ping pong and shuffle board. They had nightly competitions which looked fun for those participating.

There are no boogie boards on the beach but there are paddle boats, kayaks, and catamarans. We only had waves on the last day and they were not that big.

Canada
Level Contributor
190 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Just back from Iberostar Laguna Azul! LOVED IT!

Thanks everyone, bldg 19 or 20 seem to be best for our group, I appreciate the map.

Get answers to your questions about Varadero