We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oldest hotel in Varadero

London, ontario
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Topic
Oldest hotel in Varadero

First time I travelled to Cuba was prolly 25 years ago.. before it was the place to go. I stayed at a 2 story walkup right on the beach.. no pool no restaurant. Beach was beautiful of course. Was told before I went it wasn't a place to party... however I was up till 3 the first nite at an outdoor disco.. somewhere LOL. I took a moped tour down to the International Hotel and don't think there was much beyond that. Also went to a picnic to the Dupont estate, which is now the the Xanadu at the golf course. I doubt my hotel is still there but i know the International still is. Does anyone know the oldest hotels there????

Just a little trip down memory lane!!! Been back probably 18 times since then!!!

Cuban Connection Tour
City Tours, Multi-day Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Cubaoutings
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Cuba History and Fun Private Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Taxi TurismoPorCuba
Private Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Multi-day Tours
1. Re: Oldest hotel in Varadero

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 05 November 2010, 04:24
Whistler, British...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Oldest hotel in Varadero

Stella_02,

We last visited Cuba 17 years ago, stayed at the International (loved it) this was before All Inclusives. We're leaving on Sunday for 2 weeks and again we're staying at the International. There were a few hotels past the International, the Dupont Mansion as it was called then was open to the public. There was a great little Lobster place (barge) where dolphins swam up to the barge which I've been told is long gone. I'm sure we'll see some changes. Only 4 more sleeps!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
805 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oldest hotel in Varadero

oh you will certainly see a lot of changes.. I first went to Cuba in 1982 andthen returned around 2004 and noticed the changes then and now in 2010 even more changes....

London, ontario
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Oldest hotel in Varadero

The changes are unbelieveable. I've sorta looked for the hotel I stayed in back then but don't recognize anything.. lol I still love it there. The most beautiful beaches I've ever seen.

Arctic Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,939 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oldest hotel in Varadero

The first place we stayed at in 91 was a small hotel near Al Capones place not sure if it still is a hotel or tore down, and half the peninsula at the end was a dirt road we took a Russian scooter down...

Safe travels...jimmy

Brantford
Destination Expert
for Varadero
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oldest hotel in Varadero

jimmy_sea: that resort could be Club Karey???

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oldest hotel in Varadero

We stayed in Villa Cuba in 1986, there was no pool or hotel bldg, just these beautiful villas all different, ours had gorgeous antique furniture, they told us that they used to be rented by the rich people before the revolution. Are the villas still there? Haven't been back to VRO since, it was too touristy for us even then LOL, took a taxi to the cave restaurant where they had a total blackout in the middle of dinner. Cuba memories are the best.

London, ontario
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Oldest hotel in Varadero

I was at Villa Cuba about 5 years ago and yes the villas are still there and they still have the antique furniture. We had a big group so some stayed in the villa right on the beach and the other group stayed in one that had a private pool... Really thought it was great!

Vernon, Canada
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Oldest hotel in Varadero

Club Kawama is the oldest hotel in Varadero they just celebrated there 80th birthday..... All the old hotels near capones house are still there.... Some may not still be open though

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,487 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oldest hotel in Varadero

My first visit was also back in 82. As tourism (as we know it today) was in its infancy back then I really notice how much more relaxed Cubans seem today in terms of socializing with tourist. Back then a Cuban talking to a tourist outside a resort seemed to get a lot of attention from other Cubans. Today it is pretty much a common thing.