We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for fun/suggestions with a 2 year old?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
Ideas for fun/suggestions with a 2 year old?

I just booked our trip for Jan 23-30 (at Villa Cuba) and we have an almost 2 year old son. This is our first trip to Cuba and am very excited, but would love any help on preparing for it. Any hints/pointers on what to do with him there?

Bracebridge, Ontario
Level Contributor
711 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas for fun/suggestions with a 2 year old?

Bring a pfd/lifejacket and a plastic pail and shovel. This should take care of half the week and leave a nice present for a Cuban with a child!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas for fun/suggestions with a 2 year old?

LikenDSun, I never even thought about packing a life jacket! Thanks for that. Do most kids wear them, I wasn't sure about the beach, it sounds like it's shallow and we can play with him in it fairly safely most times. This is actually the reason I chose Varadero (the beautiful long beach)!

Good idea about leaving the shovel/pail behind for a family. I think I will go to the dollar store and buy him "travel toys" to bring and leave them all behind.

We heard Havana is a must trip, but someone told me they thought it might not be so good with a toddler, should we skip it this trip, or hire a driver/taxi so we're on our own schedule?

ontario
Level Contributor
354 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas for fun/suggestions with a 2 year old?

An idea for the beach would be the plastic "waterwings"/ "floaties" the fit over the litle ones arms and wouldn't be too hot.if you feel that you may need them for the beach.

I would advise that if your son likes to drink milk to buy and bring along ready mixed toddler milk in a can.One can get this usualy at any pharmacy or grocery store.I can recall a past posting that sited problems with even diluting formula with bottled water caused problems.Also the cuban milk is not what we a used to at home.Lot's of parents bring the wee ones on vacation so have a good family time.

Manitoba
Level Contributor
786 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideas for fun/suggestions with a 2 year old?

Go for a nice walk in Parque Josone to see the geese and ducks, take a row boat ride there as well. There are 2 very gentle camels at the park now and you can take a picture with them for $1 pesos. A ride on the camel is $5 pesos but this might be too much for the young 'un. the camels are so gentle and they lay down so you can touch their heads.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ideas for fun/suggestions with a 2 year old?

The water wings sound like a good idea, easier to pack. He's been in swimming classes since he was 6 months so comfortable with the water (but can't "swim" yet). I think he could live without milk if I give him other dairy products, do they have yogurt or anything there at breakfast buffets? I think I know of a toddler milk type drink you can buy I could always bring (it's powdered and mix in water, not formula) for dairy needs.

I will go to the Parque mentioned, I think he would enjoy that (and you're right about the camel, I think it would be too much but a photo with one would be cute).

I wish my kid would wear a hat, but he gets so upset wearing one and even hates it when we wear one! I hope it's not too hot for him but looking at the forecast this week even it's about 24-27 degrees, not tooooo hot.

Manitoba
Level Contributor
786 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Ideas for fun/suggestions with a 2 year old?

We had yogurt at our resort every morning and we stayed at the small Riu beside Villa Cuba. I'm sure if you ask the head waiter or the PR person (if they have one) they can bring in yogurt for your little one. The cuban people will spoil your baby, they love children. There is also a small Caracol store tucked away (can miss it easily), its just past the stone gates walking away from the Villa Cuba going into town. They had yogurt in there that you could purchase as well as snack foods. My niece is a dairy farmer and loves milk and she said the mild was different but drinkable, could not tell the difference, however, if you had it on your cereal or in coffee.

Bracebridge, Ontario
Level Contributor
711 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ideas for fun/suggestions with a 2 year old?

We found that the toddler formula was a very good idea (and keep some handy for the plane ride, especially take off or a flight delay).

We have used the pfd a few times, waterwings work the pfd is just another level of comfort in whether the child can play 20 yards down the beach. The other thing we have used successfully are the floaty sun suits that offer the sunprotection and have floatation in the chest and back that make the kid look like Arnold Schwartzeneger.

If you are thinking you may return to Cuba later I would save Havana until your child may enjoy it too.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ideas for fun/suggestions with a 2 year old?

LikenDSun - LOL about the floaty suits, I've seen them at Costco before. I am a wee bit paranoid, not sure if I can let my kid play 20 yards away from me...we'll see! I think I'd like to return to Cuba again, wonder when I'll get to see Havana since baby #2 is due early April, but we'll see! I will buy the toddler formula for sure to bring along, thanks!

Trooper1 - Thanks a ton about the yogurt, that will really help us, and it's nice to hear that little ones get spoiled! Thanks for the info on the Caracol store, that will come in really handy.

I am so not excited about packing a week's worth of diapers!!! I will try to calculate it out well, and perhaps I should also slip in a cloth diaper or two and cover just in case re run out (I have 2 of them, but never use them). It is amazing what you need to take for someone who's only 30lb, especially when they are lap passengers and don't get luggage allowance! At least it's hot and don't need heavy clothes : )

Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
709 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ideas for fun/suggestions with a 2 year old?

I too am concerned about my daughter not having milk. I am planning on bringing the shakes and drinkable yogurt drink that comes in tetra boxes.

Also was thinking of carnation evaporated milk in a can.

Has anyone else done this?

alberta
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Ideas for fun/suggestions with a 2 year old?

I have a 4 year old and have no problems taking up space with a lifejacket. Oceans are not pools and the lifjacket means you can take them out into the water with much fewer worries. I have just resigned myself to having a big suitcase full of his stuff. (I bought some huge cheap suitcase that we take on every trip we've gone on - it counts as one piece of luggage.)

I have also used the powdered formula and diluted it with bottled water. One week without milk probably won't seriously harm a child.

My biggest suggestion is to invest in a UV proof swim suit that covers part of the arms and legs. Buy it big and you can use it for several years. I use sunscreen too but it definetly helped with the sunburn issue.

The only real must is a pail and shovel. In adddition, I bought some measuring cups and spoons at the local thrift store and put them in an icecream pail. Easy beach toys. They do like blow up mattresses which you could also leave down there (they tend not to last very long anyway).

I found the less that you plan with the kid on vacation, the better it turns out. They don't do great on tours. If you want to go on a tour, try to take turns (mom goes one day, dad goes the next). Although it means you can't share the experience, you may make friends at the resort or on the tour.