We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Varadero or Holguin between Christmas and New years-Weather

Montreal, Quebec
Level Contributor
12 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Varadero or Holguin between Christmas and New years-Weather

I was wondering if anyone has been to Varadero or Holguin during Christmas up until 2 of Jan. We are planning to go with my kids but are not sure of how the weather is like. Any recommendations of hotels to go too?

Edited: 04 November 2010, 19:08
Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
97,942 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Varadero or Holguin between Christmas and New years-Weather

I go to Holguin every December as it's the cheapest time of the year to go from the UK. Most years the weather has been great, but it's recommended that you take one item of long sleeved clothing as it can get a little chilly in the evening.

I would suggest you consider these three hotels in the area: The Playa Pesquero, The Playa Costa Verde and the Sol Rio de Luna y Mares.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Varadero or Holguin between Christmas and New years-Weather

I would have to say Holguin based on weather alone... further south and slightly warmer. Last Jan/Feb when Varadero was practically in a deep freeze everyone I knew who was coming back from Holguin still had a great tan. After 11 years of travel to Cuba I won't ever go to Varadero from early December - early March again; after the last 3 yrs of rain and 13-15C temperatures, its too risky weather wise!

Canada
Level Contributor
137 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Varadero or Holguin between Christmas and New years-Weather

Taking my teens (and hubby) to Holguin area this Christmas. Staying at the Sol Rio de Luna Y Mares from Dec. 24-Jan. 1st.

Choose Holguin area partly because it is a litle further south -- hoping that will increase my odds of having warmer weather;)

Stayed in Varadero last Feb. - apparently during the one week when it was actually warm - it began cooling off our last two days there, but otherwise was beach weather.

Montreal, Quebec
Level Contributor
12 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Varadero or Holguin between Christmas and New years-Weather

Thanks for your input :)

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
45 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Varadero or Holguin between Christmas and New years-Weather

Hi

I went to Varadero last year Dec 31st, the weather was awful, New Years day great, we had 5 days out of 14, the rest of the time it was only about 18 degrees, still had a great time. The year before we went same time the weather was fab 28 degrees everyday. You can't really forecast, it is actually winter in Cuba, so can vary from 18 to 28. They did have the worst winter ever last year though, same as the rest of the world. Have a good time.

Montreal, Quebec
Level Contributor
12 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Varadero or Holguin between Christmas and New years-Weather

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
902 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Varadero or Holguin between Christmas and New years-Weather

I was in Cayo Santa Maria for Christmas and New Years two years ago and had fantastic weather the whole two weeks. A co-worker went to Cayo Coco about two weeks later and had crummy, cold weather the whole week. Another co-worker went to Cayo Santa Maria last Christmas and had 7 days of perfect weather.His cousin came as they were leaving on New Years Day. He had great weather that day then cold, rainy weather the rest of the week.

So, going to Cuba, especially the north coast, can be a bit of a crap shoot during the winter.... although it still beats out -30c and 5 foot snow drifts in Montreal :-)

Montreal, Quebec
Level Contributor
12 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Varadero or Holguin between Christmas and New years-Weather

What about cayo coco??

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
97,942 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Varadero or Holguin between Christmas and New years-Weather

Likely to be fairly windy in Cayo Coco. You'll certainly need one article of long sleeved clothing for the evenings, just to be on the safe side.

As the previous poster said, it's likely to be a bit of a crap shoot.

ont
Level Contributor
327 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Varadero or Holguin between Christmas and New years-Weather

Definetly Hoguin. Hoguin is farther east towards the Dominican which is always warm in Dec.-Jan. Last year I compared the weather and Hoguin was always about 3 degrees Celcius warmer than Varadero. Cuba can be hit or miss in Jan. but Hoguin should give you a better chance of warmer weather.