We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ever felt lonely while travelling solo?

Montreal (Québec)
Level Contributor
855 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Ever felt lonely while travelling solo?

I am planning to go on vacation solo for the first time ever. I am 35 and this would be my 3rd trip to Varadero. Single travellers tell me it is a good experience but I am wondering if some of you ever felt alone or lonely while travelling solo? I need your help in order to finally make up my mind... Any suggestions also welcomed. Thanks! Chantal

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,067 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ever felt lonely while travelling solo?

Hi Maya,

I travelled on my own alot back when I was single, and last year travelled with my teen son who did not want to be around mom too much, so I was basically on my own.

I have always found that there are other people on their own to meet up with if you want some company. At breakfast last year I sometimes asked someone alone to join me, or was asked by others. Walking on the beach you can stop and talk to a person alone, or a group of women you see together, and determine whether you might want to invite them to join you for dinner or the show. And then excursions from the resort are always good ways to meet people from the resort.

You can always sit at the bar, where there are other single travellers. The animation staff always has dance lessons, etc to keep you busy, too. Even just wandering around taking pictures, I met another woman interested in photography, compared cameras, and met later for drinks. As long as you are open and friendly, there is always someone to chat with. I always have a book and some tunes to listen to, but generally have never had problems finding company when I wanted it. But I always enjoy having my own schedule and being able to do what I want when I want.

If I were you I would consider hiring a guide and heading to Havana for a day at art galleries, restaurants and just a general tour. Do anything that you want to do and you'll have a great time!