We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Something New For Canadians travelling to Cuba

Toronto
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Something New For Canadians travelling to Cuba

Hi everyone,

I stumbled upon an update from the Canadian travel advisory website. We may be asked to provide proof of health insurance to customs. Just an fyi, pack your health insurance in your carry on!

Scroll to the health insurance section:

voyage.gc.ca/countries_pays/…

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
101,072 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Something New For Canadians travelling to Cuba

This is rather old news. There has been hundreds of topics on the Cuba forum about this since before it came into force on May 1st this year.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
6,328 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Something New For Canadians travelling to Cuba

Hola

No problem, have seen one person asked to show proof in 4 trips since this came in....no real big deal....overall. At least if you have insurance lol

cheers

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,674 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Something New For Canadians travelling to Cuba

This regulation was introduced several months ago and it has generated hundreds of new threads with thousands of replies on every Cuban discussion forum in existence.

In a nutshell: It is not directed towards Canadians, it's directed towards Americans and returning Cubans. It is very rare for any other nationality to be asked for proof of health insurance.

Basically the entire matter is a tempest in a teacup. Simply travel with proper health insurance and it's a complete non-issue.

Relax, have fun...

Cheers,

Terry

Toronto
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Something New For Canadians travelling to Cuba

Thanks for the replies, just thought I'd share this since it was an update on the Candadian Government website as of May 1, 2010. I knew some of our trip advisor friends would scruitinize and say this is 'old' news. But some folks may not have been aware, just an info share :)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,674 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Something New For Canadians travelling to Cuba

Yes, a subject that has generated thousands of comments on this forum alone can (in my opinion) safely be called "old news."

Cheers,

Terry

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,532 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Something New For Canadians travelling to Cuba

Old news 80)

edmonton, ab
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Something New For Canadians travelling to Cuba

Oye I don't have travel insurance. what would happen if they ask me and I don't have any?

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Holguin, Guardalavaca
Level Contributor
14,384 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Something New For Canadians travelling to Cuba

Oye; They will make you purchase Insurance from them .... simple !!

Edited: 25 November 2010, 00:28
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,293 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Something New For Canadians travelling to Cuba

If you are a Canadien citizen or resident, you can show your provincial health card and it will be sufficient proof of insurance.

However, it's really not advisable to travel without a travel insurance. Costs of hospitalisation, operation, treatments, etc can be really high, and so is rapatriation if you need it...

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,742 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Something New For Canadians travelling to Cuba

“Costs of hospitalisation, operation, treatments, etc can be really high, and so is rapatriation if you need it..”

That's for sure, just ask the family of the guy from BC who fell & hit his head on the pool deck in DR two weeks ago … Very tragic.