We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Matanzas Province - wondering about cell phones

Alberta, Canada
12 posts
Save Topic
Traveling to Matanzas Province - wondering about cell phones

Is it recommended to take our own cell phone with us or is it easier to purchase one while in Cuba?

We are thinking that we would probably be texting rather than making actual phone calls.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,169 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Matanzas Province - wondering about cell phones

You will not be able to purchase a line when you are in Cuba, only Cuban can. You can rent a line with Cubacel, but it's 3CUC/day, plus 1CUC for every message that you will send...

If you are with Rogers or Fido, or if your phone is 900mhz, it will work in Cuba. Call your provider, ask about the Caribean plan so it lower the costs of your messages, and it will be the less expensive and easiest way to do it.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,680 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Matanzas Province - wondering about cell phones

I see you are from Alberta, Birchridge. FYI your Telus cell phone will not work in Cuba.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,650 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Matanzas Province - wondering about cell phones

Camping_Girl, your Telus (or Bell) phone will work just fine in Cuba if it has a GSM 900 band which almost all of the new phones do.

Rogers still has the best voice/text/data packages though.

Cheers,

Terry

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,680 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to Matanzas Province - wondering about cell phones

My friend's brand new Telus phone wouldn't work while we were there 3 weeks ago..... I'm not a "techy" sort of person, I just know that she'd had the phone for about 2 weeks, and it would not work while she was there.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to Matanzas Province - wondering about cell phones

Rogers and Cubacell have an agreement, but with Rogers it will not work if you have pay as you go. I was recently there with a Rogers blackberry with all data, text and phone service working. Really i would recommend a quad band.,it does have better strength, especially if you are trying to connect with another within Cuba or to different parts of Canada. The other thing is to buy before you go a plan that covers you for text, phone and data before you leave for a one month coverage plan. It is expensive, but when I go, being in the sandwich generation, I need to know children an elderly parent and siblings can contact me, and I them no matter where I am, or where they may be. Bring an adapter for your charger and you will be set.

6. Re: Traveling to Matanzas Province - wondering about cell phones

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2011, 06:32