We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos and Dengue fever

Cambridge, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Mosquitos and Dengue fever

I was about to book Cuba for Feb or March when I read in the Times that there has been an increase in cases of dengue in cuba and other areas of the world due to increase in numbers of the specific mosquito that carries the virus.

As I am someone who always gets bitten even in France (ended up on high dose antibiotics) am wondering whether I should wait until this outbreak subsides. I am 65 so need to be careful. How much of a problem is this in the resorts or Havanna?

Merseyside
Level Contributor
266 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitos and Dengue fever

We have just returned from Varadero, and took lots of bug repellant with us. We did not need it! Out of the 3 of us, only my daughter had one small bite. Maybe it was too cold for the mozzies, the temperature really dropped at night.

Montreal QC
Level Contributor
700 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitos and Dengue fever

I've only been to varadero one time so far. Didn't use my bug spray once while I was there. My girlfriend got bitten twice while we were there, both times on the catamaran trip and not at the resort.

The resort areas are sprayed routinely and thus there aren't very many insects really. The occasional cockroach in your room here or there even at 5 stars in the Caribbean. If that will repulse you then I'd say stick to American standard places. But if mosquitos is all you are worried about I wouldn't worry too much unless the hotel you're staying at for some reason is notorious for it.

The places I've stayed in Barbados and in Varadero didn't have mosquito issues in the slightest. Not sure if it's seasonal or what but I never had a problem.

Sault Ste. Marie...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitos and Dengue fever

It's always worse in the evenings. Pants & some bug spray go a long way in helping avoid bites. I've found the mosquitoes to be less of a problem in Feb than in Oct/Nov/Dec and April. Or I could be imagining that?!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
637 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitos and Dengue fever

I was in Varadero in October and never used any sprays. I got bitten once, and my son never got bitten. I don't know where all these mosquito scares come from, but it's not a big deal.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
97,209 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitos and Dengue fever

pam5011:

The risk is minimal. Most resorts spray at dusk in an attempt to control mosquitos.

Use a repellent containing 50% DEET and spray yourself before you go out in the evening.

Sault Ste. Marie...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitos and Dengue fever

You'll only find DEET content of 30% in Canada, as they phased out anything with a higher DEET content beginning in 2004..

Muskol makes a strong one with 28% in a small non-aerosol bottle.

Leduc
Level Contributor
335 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitos and Dengue fever

Check out Watkins 28.5 % Deet. A friend of mine went to Africa and the travel nurse told him to use it.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
97,209 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquitos and Dengue fever

As Pam comes from the UK she'll have no problem finding repellents with 50% and even 100% DEET concentration.

Have a read of my Inside Page on Mosquito Repellents at:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g147270-c106778/Cub…

Edited: 08 January 2011, 13:10
montreal
Level Contributor
534 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquitos and Dengue fever

....i just gave a pint of blood,and they have their list of countries that if you visited in the last 1 year you cant donate,and cuba (according to hema-quebec),has had no reports of any problems.....this is what to Hema quebec...told me yesterday..This was their information.Although it does not mention dengue fever, i am sure if there was 1 case of it,they would know...it mentions malaria

hema-quebec.qc.ca/donner/…malaria.en.html ...........it should be in english

Sault Ste. Marie...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosquitos and Dengue fever

Sorry Bellagio, thought it was Cambridge, Ontario