We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sending Parcels from Canada to Varadero, Cuba

Winnipeg, Canada
4 posts
Save Topic
Sending Parcels from Canada to Varadero, Cuba

Hi there. We've recently come back from our third vacation in Varadero, and as such, have made a wonderful friendship with one family in particular. I would like to help them out by mailing parcels out that contain children's clothing; clothing for children there is double the price of adult clothing. As well, this couple can't get mitts, scarfs, etc. for their small boys, and the weather has been unseasonably cold for them. Our Cuban friend, Katia, told us not to send parcels that exceed the weight of 2kg. Also she said to wrap the parcel in lots of tape, as a deterrent so that their customs don't unwrap and keep the contents. She said not to send any valuables whatsoever. So with that in mind, I have a parcel for her twin boys - two light jackets, toques and hoodies. However I can't find any documentation that advises me what to do.

Any advice on this would be much appreciated!

Kath

Cuba
Level Contributor
13,053 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sending Parcels from Canada to Varadero, Cuba

Check out this thread

tripadvisor.com/…29101360

Mardi

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,341 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sending Parcels from Canada to Varadero, Cuba

If you send a parcel by regular mail, chances are that it will not get there.

Your best and less expensive option is to find someone who goes to Cuba and who will take the package. You could offer to pay for the excess luggage if necessary.

Your second best option is to try the cargo service offered by Cubana (by Transat too I think). You can send up to 10kg, it costs around 60$ and the Cuban will have to pay 150CUP (about 6CUC) to pick it up. Don't put electronic in it and it will be fine.

There is no 2kg limitation on package, and if custom decide to charge duty on the parcel (which they are legally entittled to) there is no amount of tape that will prevent them from doing so. Your best option is to do everything legally, like with Cubana.

By the way, children clothes is not double the price of adult clothes in Cuba. Of course, it's not cheap (like any clothing) but I would say that it's less expensive than the equivalent here. We once bought a dress, a pair of jeans and a shirt for an 8 years old girl for less than 20CUC.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
637 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sending Parcels from Canada to Varadero, Cuba

For 2kg it's about $20 surface (4-6 weeks) or $50 for air mail(less than 1 week). This is without a tracking #. I would pay the extra and get it tracked.

Where are your friends? I am going in two weeks....maybe we can figure something out?

Orangeville, Canada
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sending Parcels from Canada to Varadero, Cuba

I agree....3 out of my 5 parcels I sent did not make it.

Summerside, Canada
Level Contributor
94 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sending Parcels from Canada to Varadero, Cuba

Agreed. Have sent 4 small parcels (examples: one with some pictures, one with a CD so nothing of real value) and not one of them have gotten through. I did use the correct address and Canada Post envelopes that listed the contents and the only thing that has ever gotten through was a letter with nothing in it.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,682 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sending Parcels from Canada to Varadero, Cuba

I have sent 3 packages in the last 11 months via regular ground mail, and all 3 have been received at their destination. It takes about 3 weeks to go from Calgary to Varadero via regular mail and as pride has stated, costs around $20 for a 2 kg parcel. But it is a really bad idea to mail anything valuable.

7. Re: Sending Parcels from Canada to Varadero, Cuba

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2011, 08:17