We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

seeing the sights...

Orangeville, Canada
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Topic
seeing the sights...

going to sls on tues and last time I was there we took a double decker into town and saw a little market.

I would like to see more but not sure where to go.

Would you recommend the bus again but frequent stops to walk around or get a guide?

I like to see how they live and whatnot and I have clothes etc to give away.

Any advice is appreciated.

ty

Louise

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
3,955 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: seeing the sights...

Hola flygirl,

No need for a guide in Varadero,just hop on the bus from SLS, go to town,get off wherever you feel like it .Josone Park would be a great place to start from. It's located around Calle 58. Tour the park,have a Pina Colada at the stand by the water,there are a few excellent places to eat there also.Go back out on the main street,walk,explore,it's all very safe. If nothing grabs your eye,hop back on the bus,get off at the main flea market Calle 15 ?,or very close to that,do some shopping, if that gets tiresome,stop at one of the many sidewalk Cafes,have a refreshing drink,do some more walking/exploring,shopping etc. Then you can take the bus back to your resort,or you could just stay on the bus,and have a tour of the whole Peninsula of Varadero. One tip though,whenever you go off resort,take some TP with you,bathrooms(banos) there are ..,TP there isn't..,:)

Edited: 09 January 2011, 00:28
Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,431 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: seeing the sights...

Good recommendations from SWNova.

Depending on what time you are up & about, there are a variety of things to do in Varadero. The Cardenas Rowing Club often trains on the Kawama Basin (way down on the western end of Varadero, opposite the Kawama Hotel) early in the morning (usually at sunrise). It is nice to sit on a bench and watch them – awed at how well they row with the crappy equipment that they have!

There is a guy who hand-rolls cigars at the la Casa del Habano on 1st Avenue. Grab a cappuccino at the café there, and enjoy a break in the small patio adjacent while you watch him.

Great that you have clothes to give away! It would be best to bring them to Father Yvan Bastarache at St. Elvira’s Church on 1st Avenue, which is also on the route of the hop-on hop-off bus.

One conseil … if you sit upstairs on the double-decker bus (which you should, as it can get very hot inside), sit on the left-hand side. At some of the stops, there are branches of trees that will wipe you out on the right-hand side! Bring water & a hat for the bus too – that sun can do a job on you.

Orangeville, Canada
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: seeing the sights...

thank you both for the fantastic info!!

How to you pronounce that park tho? And are there signs posted at the calles? Like stop # soand so , so I will know where to hop off?

I would love to visit that park.

How do I find that church to give away clothes?

Orangeville, Canada
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: seeing the sights...

another question, I have school supplies for the children, should I give them to the same place?

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,431 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: seeing the sights...

Josone Park (pronounced Yosone) is around Calle (street) 60, close to Hotel Cuatro Palmas.

The church is on 1st Avenue, between Calle (street) 46 & 47. Yes, school supplies would be most welcome there as well.

By the way, for those who know Father Bastarcahe, he will reportedly be retiring back to New Brunswick at the end of March – perhaps in time to see a few local hockey games!

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
3,955 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: seeing the sights...

Hola flygirl ,

Josone Park is pronounced O SO NEE Park. Most Calle's have the # posted, I know the bus stops at Calle 54 going OUT of town,not sure about coming into town,but if you see a stop at say Calle,62 or Calle 50 ( or someways close to that)coming into town,just cross the street ,it's not a far walk and make your way to the park. By the way,my fav. resteraurant in Varadero is La Campano( inside the park) try the Ropa Vieja,you won't go wrong !

And yes you can drop off everyting at the Church. The bus always stops very close to the Church, it is on the right hand side of the street heading out of town.

Edited: 09 January 2011, 01:20
Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
3,955 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: seeing the sights...

Mad..,you say Father Bastarcahe will be retiring ? I wonder who will replace him..,and any idea just how old the dear ol man is ?

Orangeville, Canada
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: seeing the sights...

thank you so much for the info!

cant wait !!!

Cuba
Level Contributor
13,053 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: seeing the sights...

Hmmm

I thought it was pronounced Ho - sony much like you would pronounce Jesus or Jorge, with an "H" sound instead of a J sound ...

Mardi

Edited: 10 January 2011, 16:17
Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
249 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: seeing the sights...

are there any areas that we should NOT get off the bus? How long would the ride be if i stayed on until it got all the way back to the hotel? If I got off when would the next bus come. Do they all take the same route?