We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I go?

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
147 reviews
Save Topic
Should I go?

Have been pretty much everywhere on the A1 circuit.

Always omitted Cuba because of the food concerns and the many comments regarding these issues.

Really not a reasonably priced vacation, when you look at quite possibly not either getting enough to eat or something that would not be satisfying or exciting,

We would like to go in May, any suggestions on a resort?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,615 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I go?

? I dont understand. In Mexico.... DR... Jamaica there are resorts that have good food and bad food. If you look at the reviews for resorts in cuba its no different other then the fact that a "5 star" in cuba is more like a 4 star in Mexico.

Lisbon,Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon, Samana Province, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,078 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I go?

The only thing that makes me wonder to go to Cuba this year are the very high prices... I've already posted my concerns in this forum on another post about this. Here in Portugal, for example, there're NO fights to Cuba this month, no tour operator company rented a charter plane. We've good 2x1 deal to Mexico an DR. The mistery of Cuba prices for me continues...

Regarding the food, in ALL Caribbean there are good and bad resorts... your pocket is the one that make the rules... lol...

Edited: 11 February 2011, 09:45
The Pas, MB CA
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I go?

As an A1 traveller you must be used to paying the big $$ for top of the line. This should be will be no different when you go to Cuba The food in the 5 stars will be more than fine. The beaches are easily some of the best and more than make up for any pesky food dislikes. Live a little. Go.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,012 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I go?

As the saying goes..."beauty is in the eye of the beholder"....same applies to hotels, resorts, food etc.......it is a personal opinion of that particular person......nothing more nothing less........my wife and I have dined at restaurants here at home as well as other countries and, therer are times, having the same meal...she loved it and I hated it.........what can I say.....

"Beauty......."

Brantford
Destination Expert
for Varadero
Level Contributor
2,090 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I go?

judyx3 9 My girlfriend is vegetarian and a picky one at that ,we have been to mexico a few times and varadero several times .She prefers the food in Cuba over Mexico and often eats more then I do while on vacation (not at home)There will always be something to eat no matter where you ,if you don't like the buffet ,try the al a carte ,if you don't like that I am sure that one of the many restaurants in town will work for you.I usually stay at the 3.5 star Playa Caleta and enjoy the food there.

Enjoy

Edited: 11 February 2011, 15:52
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I go?

Having been to Varadero six times now and heading off next weekend, I have to say that people tend to get rather theatrical sometimes about places. You can have a lousy trip anywhere and at anytime and not even leave the continent. We have travelled with teenagers who could be very picky about things and not once have they had a problem with food or things to do. There is no reason for anyone to "go hungry". Some food items are different but that happens even in Canada. My kids hate fish, but always find plenty to eat. How can you have a problem with hamburgers, pasta, pork, rice, hot dogs, eggs, pizza, beef (although it certainly isn't Alberta standards)? The list could go on. I mean what do some of these people eat at home if they have a problem with these items?

As for a resort, depends on what you want. We personally recommend the Breezes Varadero as it is 14+ and has a fantastic beach and wonderful staff, but that may not be what you want.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I go?

First time on this forum. Thanks for the input. Have decided to go in May and stay at the Blau.

Cuba
Level Contributor
13,053 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should I go?

Judy Judy Judy

It is almost impossible to sell Cuba on a subject like food as this is a personel thing likes and dislikes.

Same with the country, Cuba isn't for everybody but still definitely worth the try.

It has a way of working inside you and most get CWS when they are home.

Mardi

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,361 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should I go?

Judyx3,

Also, you may want to shop around a bit on the price if the prices are not what you think are reasonable. Of course, you may have to fly via TO or MTL to take advantage of the best prices.

Odds are in May, we westerners will not have direct flights even it they say they are direct now. So, that being the case, you could wait until closer when the lower season prices become available. But, if you are willing to pay the price you see now - go for it and NEVER, EVER look at the prices again. you may want to look at www.itravel2000.com as they sometimes offer a price drop guarantee - but read the fine print first. itravel also has a notification option for when your price changes by a certain amount.

saskatoon,sask.
Level Contributor
66 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should I go?

Judy my advise would to stay at a resort near the downtown area as if you do not like the food at least you are close to many available fine restaurants. we were there in 2007 /2009/and in 2010 were else can you get lobster for 12-14 cuc sure beats 25 + in punta cana go have fun enjoy we just came back from punta cana this year can not wait till next year to go back to Cuba we love it . enjoy , try it hopefully you will like it like many of the posters here.