We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

problems with cayo blanco

Midland, Canada
Level Contributor
977 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
problems with cayo blanco

just got back from varadero on tuesday,on monday went out on catamaran to cayo blanco water smelled like sewage,i was surprised by this as varadero beaches are gorgeous. The day after being there (our departure date) i felt something on my face,by the time we landed in toronto it was worse,anyway long story short,i have a staphh infection on the whole side of my left side of my face (very very swollen and sore).i have i.v. in my hand and have home care coming in for antibiotic therapy. My only guess is it was the water at cayo blanco,i cant think of anything else. has anyone had anything like this before?

Port Dover, Canada
Level Contributor
285 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: problems with cayo blanco

Well first of all the sewage smell is not the ocean water. It is frequently noted in Cuba and it is caused by minerals in the soil around the mangroves reacting with salt water from the sea. It releases a sulpherous odor. There are signs posted at some of the resorts explaining this phenonmenon. The smell has nothing to do with sewage.

As for a staph infection, its hard to say where that came from. They are easy to pick up and any small scratch or abrasion can become infected with staph since the bacteria is commonly found on the skin, especially near the mouth and nose.

Hanover, Canada
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: problems with cayo blanco

I thought the smell was from the oil rigs off shore.

Midland, Canada
Level Contributor
977 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: problems with cayo blanco

Thx luv..appreciate the information about the sewage smell.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: problems with cayo blanco

not great news Lisac...hope you are on the mend very soon... did you by chance get to our favorite jewelley store?

Port Dover, Canada
Level Contributor
285 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: problems with cayo blanco

Depending on the direction of the wind, some of the smell can be from the oil rigs as well. But resorts next to the mangrove, like Sandals have signs indicating that the smell is coming from minerals in the soil. And most of Cayo Blanco is mangrove...

Midland, Canada
Level Contributor
977 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: problems with cayo blanco

sax oh yes i did...lol..gotta love that guy..

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: problems with cayo blanco

I am sorry you have a staph infection, hope it clears up okay. Just have to ask though, regarding remarks by saxophone about "going to our favorite jewelery store?". Where is this jewelery store? I love buying jewelery when I am in Cuba!

8. Re: problems with cayo blanco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 13:16