We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel insurance question at customs

Stellarton
4 posts
Save Topic
Travel insurance question at customs

I was wondering if anyone has had any problems with customs at the Varadero airport, wanting written confirmation in spanish from their medical service provider? All I have is my medical travel insurance card, is that enough?

Level Contributor
169 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel insurance question at customs

as long as your name is on the card, you'll be ok. Make sure you have your health card on you as well...

London ON.
Level Contributor
311 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel insurance question at customs

When we arrived in Varadero on January 24th, not a word was mentioned about insurance. Did the Customs agent forget to ask, or just not care? Who knows. As long as you have an insurance card in your name, I wouldn't think you would have any trouble.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
96,793 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel insurance question at customs

sun_kissed77:

That is enough to get you into Cuba, should you be asked, but you really need proper travel insurance with medical cover that includes repatriation.

Toronto
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel insurance question at customs

Hi there,

A few members of my family have just returned from Havana late last week. They had brought there medical insurance documentation and were not asked for it in Cuba.

I and 7 others of my family just booked a trip to varadero for June, the travel agent I talked to told me to have my medical insurance documents with me as they randomly check for them in Cuba. He also said that if it is the wrong documentation or for whatever reason they do not accept what you have brought, buying medical coverage there is around 20-25 CUC.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
96,793 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel insurance question at customs

michellek19:

Please read Martian24's reply # 1 on this thread:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g147270-i91-k423…

Toronto
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel insurance question at customs

I just read the thread. thanks for the heads up Bellagio.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
96,793 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel insurance question at customs

michellek19:

No problem. Glad the link helped.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel insurance question at customs

I wouldnt rely on a medical insurance card being enough cover for you in Cuba.

We have had the same concerns as our insurance is part of our bank account but have checked this and its fine. Watch out, some travel insurance companys no longer cover Cuba so look at the small print.

We have been to Cuba twice since last may when the changes took place and havent been questioned abouth insurance, but it is very random.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
96,793 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel insurance question at customs

Pompeychic1:

There is a major difference between a UK medical card and the Provincial Health Card issued in Canada.

The Canadian Provincial Health Card is enough documentation to satisfy Cuban Immigration whereas the UK medical card is not.

Having said that everyone should have proper travel insurance that includes medical cover and repatriation to your country of origin should it become necessary.

Stellarton
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel insurance question at customs

Thanks everyone for all your help! Now I can relax and count down the days!