We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tips or gifts?

Level Contributor
169 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
tips or gifts?

What do the maids prefer?

I'd like to do 1 or the other - - thanks

Yoho National Park...
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: tips or gifts?

AlmostRetiredNiagara >> Gotta agree with you on the Bubbas...The Cubans do love their Bubbas :-)

Pamela233 >> Yes, white knee socks - I take several prs down with me each & every trip.

diva >> I know ++ Cubans as well & have seen many a Bubba in their homes, as well as on the resort, when I stay at a resort.

Bellagio >> Yes, it's a gift & might have resale value, but it's something that is not avail in Cuba & the Cubans do LOVE their Bubbas, in the community as well as on the resort.

Go Ahead...Hit Me With Your Best Shot :-)

Edited: 16 March 2011, 14:17
12. Re: tips or gifts?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 March 2011, 14:35
Bradford West...
Level Contributor
890 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: tips or gifts?

The children have a distance to walk to school and they take their lunch with them every day. The schools do not have refrigerators for the lunches.

Insulated lunch bags with a small thermos are truly valued. They are more needed and appreciated than bubba mugs according to what the staff have told me.

Cheers

Pam

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,324 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: tips or gifts?

Pam, that must depends on the town or regoin... Because I knwo taht at least in many schools in Camaguey, the lunch is provided by the school. Parents pay a monthly fee in CUP and the kids receive their lunch, no need to bring one. I never asked however if it was different in other towns.

And for the kids who need to take their lunches with them, how can anyone assume that they don't have a lunch box or thermos?

Edited: 16 March 2011, 14:38
Northern Alberta
Level Contributor
1,482 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: tips or gifts?

I have seen many Cubans using Bubbas in the area that go vacation in. I have a good friend and his Bubba just reeked, oh the germs in it......His bubba has been replaced with a steel insulated drinking vessel.

Cheers

CC

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
9,100 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: tips or gifts?

OK hold on the something real tight or you may fall over . I sorta agree with Deb !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a friend I gave a bubba to and he gave it to his Dad who uses it EVERY day to take to the farm which is an hours ride away from his house on the horse drawn wagon.

Have also taken white sox and white panty hose for close friends.

Save this post !

LENNY

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
9,100 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: tips or gifts?

In the Cities of Ciego De Avila and Moron the kids are also provided a lunch at school and do not pack their own.

LENNY

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,324 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: tips or gifts?

Lenny, the thing is that you, and Deb, and others, know who you will give the bubbas or sox or what ever to... You know they need or want them. The poster is asking about tipping people she does not know.

I can perfeclty understand that you, Deb, and so many others, me included, take items for people we know. But if you don't know anyone in Cuba, or even if you know someone, if you don't know their needs or wants, just ip in CUC, you will be sure that it's appreciated.

Bear River, Canada
Level Contributor
3,764 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: tips or gifts?

I prefer to tip in CUC's. It is so much easier than bringing things you assume are needed(wanted), take up valued luggage space and discover they have more of the item than we do at home and better quality. That being said my wife is bringing some pantyhose to some of the girls at the resort whom she befriended last year. Bubba's are too big for me. I like my beer cold and I don't drink a keg at a time. LOL

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
9,100 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: tips or gifts?

Gengen

Exactly and I agree with you 100% that's why I made SURE in my post that I took these things for FRIENDS not just to give to whomever. LOL

LENNY