We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tips or gifts?

Level Contributor
169 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
tips or gifts?

What do the maids prefer?

I'd like to do 1 or the other - - thanks

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
97,891 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: tips or gifts?

Canuks_2:

Very well said and hopefully after that this thread can be put safely to bed

I'm pretty sure it won't be long before another one comes along to replace it though.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: tips or gifts?

I do believe that you may be confused or else I am because in the last 13 years I can recall once when they tried to start a no tipping law BUT it was VERY short lived , like a month or so maybe.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Anyone ??

LENNY

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,383 posts
Save Reply
53. Re: tips or gifts?

On the Breezes website for their three resorts in Cuba, it still includes:

“No se permiten propinas.” (tipping not permitted). When I was at BJ during its first year, tips were certainly not accepted. But times have changed ...

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: tips or gifts?

I don't know about BJ but they sure took all the tips I left next door before BJ opened and they've always taken the tips from my brother that goes to BJ every year. I can only recall one year about no tipping for a short time.

Lots of rumors but nothing of substance. IMO

LENNY

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,383 posts
Save Reply
55. Re: tips or gifts?

I agree completely, I’ve been back to BJ since that time, and tips were certainly accepted ... ditto for several trips to CVJ next door. Despite what the website says ... tipping is expected.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
56. Re: tips or gifts?

Mads

Just checked my old passports and my first Cuba trip was Nov 98 and BJ was not even being worked on just a few shells of buildings but no workers . I can't remember the name of CVJ but it was owned by Italians and the cook was awesome , I think there were only 6 of us from Canada the rest were from Europe.

My brother that goes to BJ leaves today for PRDO so will be interesting to hear his comparison on return.

LENNY

57. Re: tips or gifts?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 March 2011, 15:35
Edited: 17 March 2011, 15:35
Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
Save Reply
58. Re: tips or gifts?

It would be extremely interesting if TA were to take note of IP addresses of those who continue to report threads that are not at all inappropriate, instead of deleting perfectly fine posts.

And perhaps even start banning those destroying good threads with their constant reporting (instead of banning those actually contributing as it has happened many times in the past).

This thread, like other threads, could have helped lots of people. Why oh why is this otherwise great website made in such a manner that two 13 year olds can basically get together and completely moderate every thread on the website? Why isn't there an adult human being reading a post before it is deleted?

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,316 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: tips or gifts?

"Why isn't there an adult human being reading a post before it is deleted?"

Why indeed? Personally I find it very irritating when a post has been removed, even if the content was something I disagree with. Or even if the post was downright nasty. It is better to be able to see everything in context than to try to guess what has been said and why it was removed. I don't even like it when people delete their own posts! (I only do that when I have made serious grammatical errors.....it's a pride thing. ;-) )

Canada
Level Contributor
276 posts
Save Reply
60. Re: tips or gifts?

"tipping or gifting" and "animal rights" are very personal matters to majority of posters here. That's probably why the debates can get so heated to the point of being plain nasty. I guess, there are not too many deleted posts in bootleg cigars, crappy food, .....cheap ron kind of threads :)

Unless the post is truly offensive, it should stay, though!