We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you inform credit card company you are going to Cuba

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
97 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Do you inform credit card company you are going to Cuba

Anyone ever had a transaction refused by a bank because they thought it was fraudulent use while in Cuba?

NIAGARA FALLS
Level Contributor
112 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Do you inform credit card company you are going to Cuba

It is a good idea to inform your credit card company if you are travelling internationally. You advise them of the country you are visiting and arrival and departure dates. It is better to be safe than sorry as contacting your credit card company from Cuba or overseas can be a problem at times

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,674 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do you inform credit card company you are going to Cuba

Yes.

Always alert your CC company when you're leaving the country...

Cheers,

Terry

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
101,106 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do you inform credit card company you are going to Cuba

I always inform my credit card company of my dates of travel to Cuba. It's in my Inside Page on Currency at this link:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g147270-i91-k433…

Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,615 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do you inform credit card company you are going to Cuba

2 trips ago I had this happen and it was a PAIN. I went into Varadero and tried to charge aout $1000 on Cigars (yes my friend has expensive taste!).. It said hold card and call. I asked the store if I could call but obviously they said no. I went back to the hotel and called Visa. Note ... the Toll Free "world wide" does not work from Cuba. The 5 minute or so call cost me $18.00 Canadian. I'm sure I could have claimed this back from Visa but didnt bother.

Note that on my last trip I called Visa to tell them where I would be in Cuba and how much I planned on spending. She said she can certainly put a note on my file but this can not guarantee that an automated stop wont be put on my card if there is an unusual spending pattern ie amount and location of purchase.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,020 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do you inform credit card company you are going to Cuba

Absolutely.....I also call my cellphone carrier as well.......

as for the phone call to Visa....that's right the 1800 # does not work...you call the 416 # collect.

Brantford, Canada
Level Contributor
730 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do you inform credit card company you are going to Cuba

Everyone should take particular note of CubaFun's second paragraph... letting them know does not stop them from blocking transactions

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
97 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do you inform credit card company you are going to Cuba

Thanks for the advice!

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,742 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Do you inform credit card company you are going to Cuba

It is true that it isn’t a guarantee, but at least if the credit card company is contacted (which could be difficult to do from Cuba) they could see that there is a note on my file that I am travelling.

I also take the direct telephone number of my bank manager with me ... just in case. I needed it once a few years ago in Guatemala when I got caught in a tight spot and it was a godsend so I always take it now.

White Rock, Canada
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do you inform credit card company you are going to Cuba

Yes, I always inform my credit card company when we travel.

One question I am usually asked is if I want to put a monetary limit on any individual transaction amount. Clearly my answer depends greatly on what purchases I may be intending to make and what extra expenses I think I might encounter.

I would hope that a credit card company would refuse to let a $1000 purchase go through if I had asked for a $500 per transaction limit!

Sault Ste. Marie...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do you inform credit card company you are going to Cuba

Yep, a quick phone call and they put a little note on your account :)