We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Varadero Excursions/Things to do

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Varadero Excursions/Things to do

I have a couple of questions about activities we are interested in in Varadero:

1. Snorkelling

My friend is mostly interested in snorkelling while we are in Cuba. I'm going to go as well so she isn't alone but I'm not the strongest swimmer - I can swim I just prefer to snorkel from the beach and not out in deep water. Has anyone done this excursion? Is the snorkelling difficult or far off-shore? Are their better places to snorkel?

Snorkeling Adventure - Pick up at your hotel by bus to go to Playa Coral. Swim to the coral by the beach. Snorkeling for approx 1 hour. Back to the beach by swim. Bus Ride the the Saturn Caves. Snorkeling in the Caves approx 30-45 min. Equipment included.

2. Tropicana Show

My parents recommended we go to the tropicana show in Havana but that excursion seems expensive and I've also heard it's a long/tiring day. Is the Tropicana show in Havana so much better than the one in Varadero that it is worth it, or should we just go to the show in Varadero? We also may just do the colonial Havana tour instead of going to the Tropicana show. I've been to the Tropicana show in Holguin and enjoyed it, but probably wouldn't go again. I've just heard that the one in Havana is so much better.

3. Any other suggestions for things to do? Are their any pubs/bars in Varadero that have good live music?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,351 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Varadero Excursions/Things to do

Here you go.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147275-c60658/Varade…

Cheers

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Varadero Excursions/Things to do

Hi MaritimeGirl,

Our family of 4 (kids age 9and 16) did the snorkelling tour you mention on March 27th this year.

The swim from the beach on Coral Beach is not too strenuous, you can have a life jacket is you want and the guides are very experienced (I would bring my own snorkel and mask if you have one--they can supply the fins--as they have been in many mouths & perhaps not as clean as you would like).

The guide takes a group out from a ladder down to the water, through a path in the coral to deeper water and back. I was surprised to see how far we had gone as it is not a hard swim, our 9 year old managed it fine. We saw lots of interesting coral and some colorful fish. It is shallow in spots so watch out for coral scrapes, we were fine but one guy had a nasty gash on his belly. The place is very touristy, expect to tip. Bring a towel.

The Saturno Caves is not a good snorkelling spot. Very interesting to look at and swim in but can get incredibly overcrowded and much too dark to see anything underwater. Also cold. An hour in the water there would be too long.

I did not see the excursion as it is listed on TA as an option from any tour operator. We did these activites as part of the Rio Canimar excursion, including coral beach, saturno caves, the city of Mantanzas (for about 40 mins), a slow river boat cruise up the canimar river (1 hr), lunch in the jungle by a "ranch" (tourist trap) and 1 hour of related activities (horseback-riding, bull riding etc.), all in a non-smoking airconditioning modern bus with a guide.

Be warned that the animals are treated poorly (made my daughter cry). The tour overall was a good one for us but the treatment of the animals was hard to stomach. The cost was $51cuc/adult and $39cuc/child.

Hope that info answers your questions.

sudbury
Level Contributor
101 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Varadero Excursions/Things to do

where are you staying, because if you are near Laguna Azul for 20 pesos the hobbie cat will take you out to the reef for 1 hour and do a very good job of keeping you safe, the snorling if very good out there.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
582 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Varadero Excursions/Things to do

Hi Shawn, this might sound silly but what is "hobbie cat", I will be staying at the SLS, Which is next to Laguna Azul so how do we arrange this excurtion? :)

sudbury
Level Contributor
101 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Varadero Excursions/Things to do

A hobbie cat is the small catamaran on the beach. I think they do the same thing from SLS, just ask the guys at the hobbie cat stand, if they don't do it just walk up to ILA and I am sure they will take you out. Have fun, Shawn

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
473 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Varadero Excursions/Things to do

Shawn

How many people fit on the hobbie cat? Do they wait for it to be full? Can you go at any time?

I presume this is 20 CUC per person for an hour of snorkelling? I have my own mask and snorkel but presume people that don't can hire them off the hobbie cat people?

Thank you

P.S. I recently went to Colombia and for the equivalent of 20 CUC did a day trip (by boat) to a couple of islands which included lunch and snorkelling for an hour. So by comparison 20 CUC for an hour of snorkelling seems expensive?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Varadero Excursions/Things to do

Chorlton_lady, we also did the hobie cat snorkelling trip from our hotel (Las Morlas). It cost us 15cuc/pp for 2 hours, no food included. They supply mask snorkel fins life jacket. They take bread out and feed the fish--many fish show up for this feeding frenzy (which I am sure is not good for them at all) so you can see many colorful species. Go in the morning when the ocean is calmer.

You may be disappointed after Columbia. I have snorkelled in the Red Sea, Australia and Jamaica and I found that there was not the same number or variety of fish or coral in Varadero. Still an interesting and fun excursion if you do not have high expectations.

sudbury
Level Contributor
101 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Varadero Excursions/Things to do

they take up to 6, we went out just the 2 of us. We also went out in the morning when it is calmer, and only waited about 10 min for a hobicat.

9. Re: Varadero Excursions/Things to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 10:23