We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

used clothes for tips

Toronto
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
used clothes for tips

I would like to bring some used clothes to Cuba next week as I heard the staffs in the resort will like them more than the money. But I am wondering how I can know who will need what kind of clothes, or I just random pick a few pieces and give to them, doesn't matter for kids, for ladies or for men? Do I have to keep tipping them every day?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: used clothes for tips

My point exactly, two entirely different issues. Tip for good service and save your used clothing for friends or reputable charities who will distribute it to those most in need.

Montreal, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
32. Re: used clothes for tips

To the OP. Since you do no any of the staff personally, the chances of you bringing clothing that they need is really unlikely. It might even be perceived as insulting or dumb, although they will probably always have the courtesy not to express such a reaction to your face, and even put on a nice display of thanking you.

The clothing will probably be sold or traded away. Its much easier to to tip with cash. That's what I would want if I held a job caring for the public's needs.

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: used clothes for tips

Thanks for posting the info about the St. Elvira’s Church on 1st Avenue, I think that it is the best place to donate my gently used clothing toward the end of the vacation (and may be some kids clothing that could fit into the luggage allowance on the flight). I know that the people that work at the resorts are generally much better off then the people in the remote areas of the country and the Church can do a better job on the fair distribution of the donations then giving the random sizes of the clothing to the maid (they most often sell it and again they are not the people in need in Cuba).

I was thinking of leaving most of my stuff as a donation last time we were there but could not figure out where the bins could be.

Edited: 16 April 2011, 20:32
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
728 posts
Save Reply
34. Re: used clothes for tips

As a matter of fact yes I have visited developing countries and I also don`t see the point of mocking in a chat forum such as this. I asked a question,"would YOu like to be tipped in clothes?

If tipped in cash the people can then decide what or if they will purchase clothing or any other item at their will. Next time Cubafun123 try being helpful instead of spiteful. take a chill pilll pal...

CHEERS Have a Great day

Ontario
Level Contributor
2,263 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: used clothes for tips

1st....my suggestion ....since you are in Ontario is to get in contact with the Dubois Foundation. After a bit of a break they are resuming sending containers to Cuba .....soon I understand.

http://www.duboischaritablefoundation.com/

I had a very interesting chat with a Cuban on our last trip..... In Canada we are very familiar with the food bank boxes at our fire halls and grocery stores. I asked if the hotels would ever allow such a practice.... not food boxes but a place where guests, that want to donate, could leave items that would be distributed to families in need .... or orphanages, homes for the aged. My thought is this way it is (in theory) going to those who need it not only the workers...... and it would be done in a charitable fashion ...the recipient and giver are unaware of each other. She said that this is not a Cuban type of practice to have the “charity box” but that they will share, for the most part, with each other. This worker has had this question posed a few times and that possibly it might be a way to go since many of their guests, Canadians, are quite familiar with this type of donations.

I thought it was interesting that, while Cubans are comfortable receiving a gift.... there is a hesitation to receive charity.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,614 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: used clothes for tips

Smitty ...said

"I asked a question,"would YOu like to be tipped in clothes?"

Hmm lets see..My T4 last year was north of what the average house is worth in Vancouver. Would I like used clothing? no. Would I "tip" with used clothing no. Would I think its a nice thing to offer somebody in cuba? yes. If you dont think clothing is appreciated... please go back to cuba a few more times and meet some people other than your fave...bartender.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,614 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: used clothes for tips

And I'm not talking about handing out childrens clothing on the street corner by the way.

38. Re: used clothes for tips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 16 April 2011, 23:32
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
861 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: used clothes for tips

#35 "I thought it was interesting that, while Cubans are comfortable receiving a gift.... there is a hesitation to receive charity." May I digress from the original topic somewhat in relation to this statement as I am wondering about something that I've never seen discussed yet on this forum. While in Cuba recently we heard that a taxi driver had asked some tourists if they had any cell phones they'd like to sell to him. Also, when my husband took a Hobie cat ride the driver asked if he could buy my husband's waterproof watch as he said they're very hard to come by in Cuba. When my husband said he couldn't in all honesty sell it to him because it was so old, but he would give it to him, the driver insisted that we come back the next morning and when we did he had a souvenir of Cuba to give to us. In both cases the men weren't asking for a handout, they were willing to buy what they were asking for even to the extent of giving us a gift for what we gifted. I'm wondering what your thoughts are about selling things to Cubans.