We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Of the Seven of Us 4 Took Dukoral 2 Got Sick

Leduc
Level Contributor
335 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Of the Seven of Us 4 Took Dukoral 2 Got Sick

Just got back from Varadero. My family of 4 took Dukoral, My self, my husband and our boys age 15 and 17. My parents did not and my sister did not. We went to Havana for the day and My sister and I shared my shrimp and her hamburger, it came as two smaller ones so she gave me one. She got sick , vomiting and diarrhea. She was sick for a day.Me nothing. Was my burger just a good one or was it the Dukoral? I wish I knew. My mom also go sick, diarrhea for a day as well. So the 4 of us who took Dukoral never got sick. Our boys ate everything under the sun, lots of meat and never got sick. I ate fish and the prawns mostly. The boys were told if some meat is pink do not eat it, Or if they thought it was not cooked good to leave it. I am not pushing Dukoral I use it for our family and will continue to do so. It is you and your doctors choice. For us our Doctor and pharmacist said it was a good idea.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
6,260 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Of the Seven of Us 4 Took Dukoral 2 Got Sick

Hola

I have taken Dukoral for some time now,it's over the counter here in B.C. never been sick, the travel doctor and our own family doctor recommended to me....for me it's great. But like you posted on a early thread, about Dukoral, many say, it does not help.

But like you posted, it's your Doctor and pharmacist said it was a good ideal and your happy with it, just like me....nothing worse than being ill on a vacation.

cheers

Yarmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
2,895 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Of the Seven of Us 4 Took Dukoral 2 Got Sick

We have been to Cuba several times. We have eaten at various places, on resort and off. None of us have ever gotten ill. We've never taken any type of medication.

Its a personal thang.

S

Edited: 15 April 2011, 12:22
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Of the Seven of Us 4 Took Dukoral 2 Got Sick

Dukoral is great, I've been taking it and the boosters for years, but it only protects you from ecoli an cholera; it doesn't protect you from other food poisoning bacteria like listeria or salmonella so it's not a total fail safe when it comes to eating out but it probably helped. The Twinrix vaccine isn't a bad either!

4. Re: Of the Seven of Us 4 Took Dukoral 2 Got Sick

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 08:27