We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Catamaran Excursion...

Halton Hills, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Catamaran Excursion...

Just got back from Varadero and to clarify...

The Catamaran trip with the Dolphin swim in the ocean pen is a slightly shorter catamaran ride leaving from the end of Varadero.

The longer Seafari trip had a Dolphin show at the end of the trip at the Dolpharium in Varadero. The Catamran ride itself is longer.

Both stop and have lunch at Cayo Blanco.

Sudbury, Ontario
Level Contributor
792 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Catamaran Excursion...

Thanks sasaws:

We wanted to do the Catamaran trip and now will now the difference when we go to book.

The Great White...
Level Contributor
993 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Catamaran Excursion...

I liked the catamaran trip that stopped at the pens in the ocean to swim with the dolphins. My daughter didn't like the one that stopped at the dolphinarium near Beaches Resort.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
635 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Catamaran Excursion...

silly me, and I thought they were "free" in the ocean.... not in pens! still....

Toronto
Level Contributor
265 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Catamaran Excursion...

we are going to varadero in March and would like to try the catamaran swim w/dolphins, but I have some ?'s,

-How much does it cost CAD, who do you pay and would the cost be any cheaper if you did not swim w/dolphins but did the rest of excursion?

-what exactly does your day comprise of for this excursion and do you actually swim w/dolphins,

-how many hours do you think it'll be since we're at the barcelo marina palace which is at the end of the penninsula.

thanks.

The Great White...
Level Contributor
993 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Catamaran Excursion...

Hi, I did the Catamaran trip in January.

We left at 9:30 a.m. and got back around 4:30.

You sail out to the ocean and go snorkelling..its not really deep, you can see the bottom. Then you go to the dolphin pens. You get in the water and they swim around you for a minute. Then everyone waits in the water and has there pictures taken with 3 dolphins posing around you (or kissing you) It only takes a couple of seconds. Then you get back on the catamaran and go to Cayo Blanco, have lunch right away, and then have a couple of hours on the beach to tan or swim. On the way back to Varadero they crank up the music and you can dance...and try to drown out or out dance the people on the other catamarans. There will be about half a dozen other catamarans at Cayo Blance when you are there. It was fun, but not terribly exciting.

Toronto
Level Contributor
265 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Catamaran Excursion...

thanks for your response Chilly lilly but

-How much does it cost CAD (would it cost more if used VISA), who do you pay and would the cost be any cheaper if you did not swim w/dolphins but did the rest of excursion? who takes the pictures, can my sister bring her own camcorder and camera?

thanks.

Toronto
Level Contributor
265 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Catamaran Excursion...

Oh, also I wear glasses/contacts. would I need special prescription goggles to go snorkleing or would I be able to wear contacts with their regular goggles they will offer

Brockville
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Catamaran Excursion...

We just got back from varadero as well, we went on the Catamaran trip and did not have that good of a time, there were about 8 - 10 kids that were there, most of us were from adult only resorts, just to go on an excursion with an open bar, and turn around and see kids, they were also using the tanning nets as a trampoline,,that was tolerated but when the sun came out and the adults wanted to lay down on them and get some sun, the kids (with the blessing of the parents) still kept using them as trampolines and upset out drinks, walked over us getting on and off, on and off and off and on (get the point).. there should be a family catamaran just for the kids to jump to their hears content, so there was no loud music, no games, not anything at all on our catamaran that stocked up to adult fun

Brockville
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Catamaran Excursion...

We just got back from varadero as well, we went on the Catamaran trip and did not have that good of a time, there were about 8 - 10 kids that were there, most of us were from adult only resorts, just to go on an excursion with an open bar, and turn around and see kids, they were also using the tanning nets as a trampoline,,that was tolerated but when the sun came out and the adults wanted to lay down on them and get some sun, the kids (with the blessing of the parents) still kept using them as trampolines and upset out drinks, walked over us getting on and off, on and off and off and on (get the point).. there should be a family catamaran just for the kids to jump to their hears content, so there was no loud music, no games, not anything at all on our catamaran that stocked up to adult fun, this excursion was not worth it in my books

canada
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Catamaran Excursion...

its an adult trip..AWESOME did it 2x in a week..so beautiful!!! i have done both tours total of all trips 3...the one with dolphins in pens is better for swimming w/doplhins, BUT the part of cayo blanco we hit wasnt as nice...the other tour was a show, and $ extra for a swim..but longer ride, and better part of cayo..i prefer the later w/ longer ride and better beach....i didnt like swim w/dolphins, knocked out 1500$earing and i was SO LUCKY to swim down to ocean floor and find it.....dolphins nibble at yr ears..thought they atr it cost more than my trip to cuba!!, but the TOUR IS A MUST IMO..about 110$CDN, for all u can drink, eat on land and boat trip, snorkel and dolphins on the most beautiful water and beach,..its a vacation within a vacation..a MUST..110$..is a good dinner and a few drinks at home let alone a all say mega $ catamaran, excursion!!!!!

enjoy..dont wish u had, go as u might go again b4 yr trip is over..we did!