We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in Varadero

Saskatoon, Sk.
Level Contributor
298 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in Varadero

Having never been to Cuba before, I am wondering what there is to do in Varadero? Is the town a fair size? Are there an abundance of restaurants to dine at? We are thinking of a day trip to Havana, but still like to leave the resort once in a while.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in Varadero

Check out

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147275-c60658/Varade…

There are a few restaurants in Varadero, I personally recommend "Kiki's" for pizza and "La Campana" for Cuban cuisine located in Josone Park.

You will surely be able to arrange a Havana day trip for your hotel, its about 70 cuc per person with lunch included most of the time.

Edited: 25 May 2011, 23:37
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
166 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in Varadero

I highly recommend Calle 62 for an after dinner drink and perhaps some dancing in the streets :-)

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,682 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in Varadero

Plenty to do off the resorts. Depending on the time of year that you go, there is a fiesta every Saturday night downtown in the summer. It runs from May through September, I believe. It is a lot of fun - music, dancing and plenty of cheap food and drinks. The location is directly across from the downtown shopping centre which I believe is called the Centro Commercial Centre.

Scooters are a great way to explore the town and can be rented from several spots. There are many good restaurants off the resort where you can get a decent meal for a very reasonable price.

Josone Park is a nice spot to spend an hour relaxing in the shade and soaking up some fabulous pina coladas. (You could also wander around the park, lol.) There is also an ecological park at the end of the peninsula.

The artisan markets have good bargains on souvenirs. Go to the Casa del Ron to see the many types of rum that are produced in the country and buy a couple of bottles to take home. There is also a cigar shop right across the street.

There are many day tours that can be booked from your hotel. There are also several scuba shops in Varadero. If you enjoy golf there is a golf course in Varadero also.

My favorite thing to do is wander down 1st Avenue, walk through the markets and pop into bars along the way for a cold cerveza, and listen to the local music. A stop at the ice cream shop is always a must for me as well.

Cuba
Level Contributor
13,053 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in Varadero

3. Re: Varadero town, food bar recommendations

Dec 28, 2005, 1:50 PM

Hi

I posted this before so here goes.

As far as thing to do in Varadero, I can give many suggestions.

Restaurants (I’ve been to many, I’ll just give my favorites)

Italian – Dantes (Josone Park) and Castel Nuovo (Calle 12 y Ave 1ra)

Chinese – la Campana – (between Calle 13 & 15) It seems to be misplaced on the map. Drive/walk up 15th to the beach and walk back to 13th (just before) on the beach till you see it (see photo).

Surf and Turf – Barracuda and Albacora – (Called 58), la Campana (Josone Park) and Barbacoa (Calle 64)

Other restaurants are; la Fondue, el Ranchon, Don Quijote, Al's (as in Capone)

Things to see;

Casa del Cultura (art gallery)

Casa del Ron (rum museum)

Santa Elvira (Church)

Mansion Xanadu (Dupont Castle)

Todo en Uno (amusement park)

Gocarts (at the old airport)

Excursions

Havana

Catamaran (if you want to snorkel and swim with dolphins)

Snorkeling (3hr trip from Albacora for $15)

Caves near the airport.

Tropicana (Matanzas City)

Other trips

Cave of Fish and/or

Crocodile farm (south of Jaguey Grande and near Bay of Pigs)

Hope that helps

Cheers

Mardi

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,682 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in Varadero

Gocarts?? There's one I've missed on prior trips! That's good to know, as I'm taking my teenage son with me on the next trip. Thanks Mardi!

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
4,305 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do in Varadero

Hola pinnacle,

Varadero is a town of about 6000 or so people,it is more developed than most Cuban towns,mainly due to tourism. There are lots of things to do off resort,take the Double Decker bus,5 CUC for an all day pass,on and off as many times as you want,check out the markets at Calle 15,great place to pick up some souvenirs. There are many sidewalk cafés,restaurants that are very good to grab a quick drink/lunch at. Also plenty of places to go for a nice evening dinner out..,La Campana in Josone Park,Don Quijote's,The Coral Restaurant , just to name a few.

Any other questions,just ask,enjoy your trip !

PS, Camping girl..,I don't think that the go carts are offered anymore,but I could be wrong on that.

Edited: 27 May 2011, 01:55
Cuba
Level Contributor
13,053 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do in Varadero

SWNova is correct.

My list is very old, the gocarts never were very popular and many did not know they even existed.

Few other things from my list ...

La Campana restaurant portion is closed. Albacora (and Eduardos beach grill) is closed as well.

Mardi

uk
Level Contributor
831 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do in Varadero

Do I have to take a cab into town from the Iberostar Varadero ? If so how far is it please. Also wheres it best to book for the catamaran trip please and does anyone have a idea of the price ? We are going in two weeks anything special going on in the town ? Thanks.

Gibsons, B. C...
Level Contributor
978 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do in Varadero

Taking a 1-hour tour in a horse and cart is a fun thing to do. There is a roof on the cart so you won't die of the heat, and the drivers do go off Avenida 1era so you get to see things you don't on the double decket bus. The driver will also wait if you want to pop into a market. I recommend doing this at the start of your holiday, as it will give you a good idea of the layout and amenities of Varadero.

Black Sapphire, you will have to take a cab from the Iberostar Varadero.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,615 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do in Varadero

The thing I like about "varadero proper" is that its a sleepy tourist town but without the hassle..locals all around doing thier thing...nobody with a frog/lizard/kangaroo on a shoulder harassing you to take a picture. I first arrived thinking its a city of have nots...and well...now I regress... this is a city of have mores.