We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holguin or Veradero

north bay ontario
Level Contributor
210 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Holguin or Veradero

Still trying to decide where to go in July. Like to have a decent resort with nice rooms, ocean view that will not break the bank. Relatively good food. Good beach and swim up bar. Have been to Melia Las Dunas in Cayo Santa Maria and was very impressed. Anything you can suggest would be very helpful.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
5,827 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Holguin or Veradero

Hola,

Staying at a resort in Varadero would be very different than out on the cayos. As you're aware, Cayo Santa Maria is very isolated, quiet, and pristine. If this is what you prefer, I would recommend the Guardalavaca / Holguin area for a change scenery. Varadero is very commercialized with dozens upon dozens of all-inclusive resorts lined up down the the peninsula like cord wood. IMHO staying in Varadero would be a complete departure from your earlier experience, and not necessarily for the better either.

The Sol Rio de Luna y Mares in Guardalavaca would be my choice ~ it has everything you're looking for including ocean view rooms with a panoramic vista to die for.

Good luck with your further research.

Terry

Dudley, United...
Level Contributor
2,146 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holguin or Veradero

hi i would like to reccomend the playa costa verde dont think there are many ocean view rooms but some pool views the food is good at this hotel they have a japaneeze resturant cuban and italian and vegetarian a cigar lounge which is air conditioned open at evenings also a good swim up bar the beach is not so good as the sol de luna but you just walk over a bridge where the luna mares is alot of steps to go down to the beach i have stayed at both hotels

Mont Tremblant...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Largo
Level Contributor
6,276 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holguin or Veradero

While there are indeed a lot of steps to go down to the beach on the Mares side, there is also a ramp, and unless things have changed, there is a small ramp next to the 8000 building on the Luna side. And Playa Esmeralda is gorgeous - my vote also goes to the Luna Mares if a beach is important to you. There are also restaurants, washrooms and activitiies right on the beach. Totally different from CSM, as CrazyCanuk mentioned - and I concur with his assessment of Varadero.

In Varadero, depending on your budget, the Iberostar Laguna Azul would fit the bill - there is a partial ocean view from many rooms (if not most).

4. Re: Holguin or Veradero

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 16:18