We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from Melia Las Americas-any questions....

Toronto
Level Contributor
381 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Just back from Melia Las Americas-any questions....

Hi all,

Just returned yesterday (june 23) from MLA....let me know of any questions and I will try to answer them for ya!!

Julia :)

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
723 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back from Melia Las Americas-any questions....

Hi Julia -

We are leaving for MLA tomorrow - can't wait!

A couple of easy questions -

Was it easy to get money exchanged at the hotel for tips (small bills)

How were the mosquito's?

How busy was the hotel generally? (such as easy to get reservations?, easy to get loungers in the shade? )

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
166 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back from Melia Las Americas-any questions....

I too would like to know if it was easy to get a place under an umbrella ( beach hut) at the beach or did you have to get up early to 'reserve"? are there bathrooms near the beach? waiter service at the beach to bring you drinks?

What was the Lobby bar atmosphere at night time? Was it a good place to hang out after dinner and meet people, or even just people watch?

Where you happy that you chose this hotel over any other you were thinking about?

Windsor, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back from Melia Las Americas-any questions....

hi,i just wanted to know if there are some good places to go out dancing, and how far are they from the hotel?

Toronto
Level Contributor
381 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back from Melia Las Americas-any questions....

Weddingmonsoon: sorry to get back to you so late, ill answer your questions incase others have the same ones. There were times I would get 30-40 canadian dollars exchanged to one dollar pesos. Use the Cadeca located upstairs in the lobby. She is there all day long (starting from 9am-8pm I believe-taking breaks here and there).

The mosquitos were not as bad as it was when I went two years ago to Paradisus. I did get bitten, at night but not badly at all. The lobby is indoors so that helps a lot. In all honesty, it was nothing to worry about but I would use repellant each evening, esp. if you are going to sit outside.

The resort was not busy at all, i hear now is the slow season. All the a la cartes are not open every day so you kind of get what they give you. We were able to go to the Japanese, Italian and Gourmet/International. All three being really good! The lady at the reservation counter (in the lobby close to the Cascada Jazz Bar) is there 9-5 and she will work with you to get you as much as she can. She offered us two Japanese reservations and two Italian reservations which was really nice. We only went once because the buffet was so delicious too! So overall, the resort was very slow.

Tina6604: So I have to say that the beach was not very busy. We would get to the beach around 9-930 every morning and would have our pick of every single umbrella on the beach (not kidding). They really have a lot of umbrellas on the beach--more than a lot of resorts I have seen. When you walk down the stairs, go to your left if you want the quieter area of the beach/umbrellas. Most people head off to the right so this area on the left is super quiet and peaceful. Dont bother "reserving" chairs here, really no need unless you see the resort is full! There was never any waiters on the beach or at the pool (by the way the main pool is closed right now for renovations, we were upset by this because we were not informed--not sure when it is set to reopen). The beach bathrooms are right by the beach bar, few second walk from all loungers/umbrella area.

I liked the lobby area/bar in the evening after dinner. I enjoy people watching and I found that the lobby was not exactly a huge party, but it was a good place to meet people; there were a lot of 30-40 year olds at the resort while I was there--many singles as well, many couples too though and some groups of friends. They have a waiter coming around the lobby asking what you would like to drink in the lobby and they do have the Jazz bar with music every night after 9pm--not many people go there, lobby is better for meeting people and people watching.

Lastly, yes, I am so happy with my choice. We love this hotel. It was our first time coming here and I was worried as I know a lot of us our when we go to Cuba (mostly because we dont know if we will eat all week). This place really exceeded all my expectations Tina. I would never go anywhere else in Varadero!

Lina: We did not venture out to any bars or nightclubs but a lot of resort guests did. I heard it was less than a half hour away and I also heard from friends that the bars and clubs in Varadero are fun, safe and very enjoyable. If you are going to Havana for nightly fun--I believe it is an hour and half away. Just to let you know, the resort entertainment staff as well as the customer service reps can fill you in on all the popular bars and clubs in Varadero once you get there. They are friendly and know what to do!!

Edited: 26 June 2011, 14:03
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
166 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back from Melia Las Americas-any questions....

Thanks for the helpful information Julia!

Toronto
Level Contributor
381 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just back from Melia Las Americas-any questions....

My pleasure. Let me know if there are any other questions!

7. Re: Just back from Melia Las Americas-any questions....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 04:16