We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Varadero lovers, what about Holguin or Cayo Coco?

Montreal (Québec)
Level Contributor
863 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Varadero lovers, what about Holguin or Cayo Coco?

Hey,

This will be my 3rd consecutive trip to Varadero. For people who keep going back to Cuba or Varadero, have you tried going to Holguin and/or Cayo Coco and are you still going back to Varadero after? I want to try but I am always afraid I will be disappointed because I enjoy Varadero so much. How does it compare; what do you think?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Varadero lovers, what about Holguin or Cayo Coco?

We have been to Varadero and Cayo Coco. Trying Holguin in March. Cayo Coco is very quiet, so it's good if you want a relaxing vacation. There are only resorts on the island - no town, no locals live on the island. Cayo Coco's big plus for us was the beautiful beach and great crowd of people at our resort. Still a fun place to go because of the people. My cousin commented that she missed having a town to go to when she wanted to get off of the resort for a while.

We'll see how Holguin goes this year. I'm sure we'll enjoy it. May have a few more options than Cayo Coco as we're not on an island.

Montreal (Québec)
Level Contributor
863 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Varadero lovers, what about Holguin or Cayo Coco?

I guess it depends what you are looking for. I would probably not go there alone then. It is more a family or romantic vacation then.

Elkford, Canada
Level Contributor
661 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Varadero lovers, what about Holguin or Cayo Coco?

We went to Holguin in 2000. We did two side tours during the 7 days. One to the Holguin City and Cigar tour and one to the city of Santiago De Cuba. We loved Holguin and would go back in a minute. The only thing that has kept us going to Varadero is we enjoy going into Havana - cigar purchases - I also know three couples from here that went to Holguin last year - they all stayed at Club Amigo and they are looking forward to returning. They enjoyed meeting and partying with the locals.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Varadero lovers, what about Holguin or Cayo Coco?

Maya - yes I think it depends what you're looking for. We still had fun at Cayo Coco - there are clubs at the resorts and one club on the island. You can tour to the mainland as well. Just more isolated than Varadero. Not sure if I would say for romantics and families only... hard call... but it does fit the bill for these 2 groups.

Yes Merle, we've heard about the beach parties the locals have at Guardalavaca beach in the Holguin area. It is a public beach not to far from our resort and we're looking forward to joining in.