We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomson Flights

liverpool
Level Contributor
153 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Thomson Flights

We (2 of us) are travelling in November and had had several calls from Thomson trying to persuade us to pay extra to ensure our seats are together, the last call was quite aggressive and the representative became agitated when I said I didn’t want to pay the extra.

She virtually said we WON’T be seated together unless we pay the extra.

Has anyone else had this hard sell attitude and has anyone had any problems sitting together as a result of not paying?

Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
716 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thomson Flights

I took a quick look at other forums and many people do not buy into this "extra" and never seem to have a problem, with that being said of course it could happen.

My suggestion would be to call and complain about the salesperson to Thomson, and even get irate about the salespitch in particular, Be polite but firm and you may actually may get the service for Nil or at least be on record that you are unhappy with Thomson's business model.

liverpool
Level Contributor
153 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thomson Flights

Thanks.

I have put a complaint in to Thomson and asked if the call was recorded.

Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Thomson Flights

I know its a bit of a ripoff but we always pay to select our seats at the time of booking. I think its worth it to gaurantee that you'll get decent seats & not be stuck next to someone burping & farting etc all the way. Its better for us as we usually make our own way to the airport (both sides) & leave it pretty late to check in. We always use Thomson where possible.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
34,438 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thomson Flights

There is always a chance of being seated separately when you don't opt for reserved seating but it is always your choice. I've never had the problem of them ringing me and don't know anyone that has.

Did you book through an agent? Was it them or Thomsons sales?

I personally wouldn't have bothered complaining. I would have just put her straight while she was on the phone!

Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
716 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thomson Flights

Putting her straight on the phone doesn't change policy though, I can see adding priority/choice seating at the time of booking, or even one phone call/email afterwards.

djb0151 stated he has had calls on numerous occasions, once someone has opted out once it should be enough, and if it wasn't Thomson themselves they should be able to see by Where the ticket was purchased any other company that could be harassing djb to buy this Add-on sale.

Level Contributor
80 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thomson Flights

I went with thompson in July and never got a call asking us to pay the extra! We got sat together there and back!

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
19,734 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thomson Flights

My mate, who goes with Thomson in October got a call, for seats together.

Strange , he travels alone, so he did not need to book.

In the end they offered him a seat to guarantee he sat where he wanted to.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
449 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thomson Flights

if you want to you can check in the day before this would give you a better chance i dont blame you for complaining try to follow it through good luck

Salford, United...
Level Contributor
65 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thomson Flights

Every holiday i go on i book with thomson, Me and my gf went domonician last year and nothing was said to us about pre booking seats. We just thought if we got to the airport early enough we would be able to together and pick our sits.

But we never got asked on the check and was just given sit numbers, lucky enough we was sat together but on the middle 4 seats, I am a 19stone rugby rugby so sitting in the middle next to some one i dont know is a problem for me and im sure for them as i do overlap into there space.

So when we book to go cuba we made sure we paid the 25 quid each so we can prebook out sits so i can get a window sit. I think its worth it.

But never had thomson chasing me on the phone on in person in the shop. They have always been really nice and looked after us.

So its a shock to hear about how they have treated u

Level Contributor
80 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thomson Flights

Going we got a window seat but we did check in three hours before, coming home we got sat in the middle aisle, we wasn't bothered about a window seat because you fly through the night and when your coming home you just want to get home! I think the 25 pounds each is ridiculous to pay!! Just make sure you check in early and I'm pretty sure you'll get sat together!