We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pickup 4 hours before departure time upon leaving Cuba

London
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Pickup 4 hours before departure time upon leaving Cuba

One thing I was not expecting on our trip was that we had to be picked up at our resort 4 hours before the flight time!!

We were told that this was CUBAN law!

Did anyone else have to be picked up so early before the flight?

We were expecting to get another 1/2 day of sun before we left but missed out

Montreal (Québec)
Level Contributor
863 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pickup 4 hours before departure time upon leaving Cuba

Yes, that is usually the case! And then, you have to wait forever at the airport, but I don't know if it is a law...

Burlington, Ontario
Level Contributor
694 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pickup 4 hours before departure time upon leaving Cuba

We were picked up that early too. Make sure you save some $cuc to buy a beer at the airport. You will be waiting some time!!!! Our airport had a nice area that you could sit outside and have a drink before your flight. That made the time go a little quicker.

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pickup 4 hours before departure time upon leaving Cuba

yes londonon"

that's unfortunatly the way of it....By the time your bus arrives and you go through check in --then pay your 25 CUC--security--upstairs--it really isn't so bad..

You can see avtivity on the runway from upstairs--lots of places to have a beer or snack--shoppes etc....

Souris, Canada
Level Contributor
329 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pickup 4 hours before departure time upon leaving Cuba

we were picked up about 3 hours before departure and with the half hour drive to the airport we were only there about 2 hours because our flight left half an hour early ( which I guess is fairly common if everyone is checked in.)

For future travellers -one word of advice though when we arrived at the airport a gentleman told us the other side of customs was pretty full and to stay on this side for an hour or so for our comfort ( I think he was drumming up business for the bar upstairs) Much cleaner and more comfortable on the other side.

Elkford, Canada
Level Contributor
661 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pickup 4 hours before departure time upon leaving Cuba

Coldonpei - we found the same thing. A treat to ourselves on Air Transat is we go club class. When we arrived at the Varadero airport to return home the line ups were unbelievable to check in. You could not move - period. I saw the Air Transat Club Class line up - and maneuvered my way to the wicket. Checked in, then weaved our way back to pay our $CUC to get out of the country. We then got in the line up to go through the cattle stalls and were told at that time that we should stay on that side because the other side was full because planes were getting ready to leave. Looking behind us - there were more people lining up to check their baggage - we figured they had to be leaving at least as fast as they were coming in and all these people behind us were also going to be coming through to look for a seat - so we ignored the suggestion to eat and drink upstairs and went through to the other side -We also believe it is just a way to drum up business.

nld
Ontario
Level Contributor
432 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pickup 4 hours before departure time upon leaving Cuba

coldonpei,

What do mean when you say the other side of customs? I have never been to Cuba and don't understand what you mean about customs at the airport.

Souris, Canada
Level Contributor
329 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pickup 4 hours before departure time upon leaving Cuba

when you enter the (small) air port you are directed to the line to check your baggage and then have the option of going through customs into the departure lounge or remaining on the airport entrance side to shop or go to a lounge upstairs..they still want their peso for bathroom use but when I was there, there was no toilet seat,paper, soap,papertowel and the hand dryer didn't work!

Things were much better once you cleared customs and went to the departure lounge!