We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best way to book from Toronto

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
225 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
best way to book from Toronto

Any advantage to going through an online agent like flghtcentre.ca, escapes.ca etc or going directly through supplier like sunwing?

Online quotes appear identical

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,369 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best way to book from Toronto

No difference. Why not try a local Travel Agent.

Cheers

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
225 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best way to book from Toronto

thanks bergerman, but if there's no difference then it would make sense to go directly to supplier as it's more efficient...and price drop guarantee offered

otherwise no advantage going to a travel agent - or is there?

Midland, Canada
Level Contributor
977 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best way to book from Toronto

Try itravel2000 i find they are the best prices out of toronto.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,369 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best way to book from Toronto

Personal service. I find talking to a actual travel agent as opposed to a call center employee is better for us. Not to mention you are helping small business Canada.

Cheers

Toronto Canada
Level Contributor
260 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best way to book from Toronto

I have been dealing with travel2000 on victoria prk they are real professional get the cheapest flights for you they go the extra mile my fifth time using them they very good im from Toronto

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
4,092 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best way to book from Toronto

ChaCha..,I usually look online for prices,then call my Travel Agent,she always matches the price,( sometimes even beats it ) plus If something happens..., Tour Operater/ Airline goes ' under" or any other emergency, I am dealing one on one with someone that I have dealt with for years now.., and who I know will be doing everything they can to get the problem fixed.,not just some voice at a call centre.Plus as bergerman says, keeping it local.

Edited: 07 September 2011, 23:23
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
231 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best way to book from Toronto

Well said SWnova I feel the same way any issues you call your agent. I was once stranded in Monteal and a different time in key west and without having my travel agent to call not sure what I would have done. Call centre for me no way. :-)

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jibacoa
Level Contributor
2,924 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best way to book from Toronto

My travel agent usually beats the lowest price or matches it and even if she can't I still book with her. I use the same agent and I have had several emergencies and my agent has been there to help me. I research prices on line but always use an agent. She will also go to bat for me with the tour group and has come up with solutions that I was not aware of. I follow her if she changes employers.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
225 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best way to book from Toronto

Thanks everyone. Didn't think of emergency situations and it does make sense to deal with a dedicated agent.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
886 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best way to book from Toronto

The online web agencies get a small commision for selling SUNWING packages (as an example). But its the same package you're booking.

A travel agent can usually get you the same deal, if not better.

I never found it cheaper to book direct with SUNWING or TRANSAT Holidays vs booking the same package through REDTAG. So I see no advantage. SUNWING wont pass the commision savings to you, they just pocket it as a bonus.

As others have said though you will see the true value of a travel agent in the event of an emergency. You won't get that service from online, although i must admit customer service for ITRAVEL2000 and REDTAG were exceptional from my experience with using them.

I agree with Bergerman regarding supporting small business wherever possible. I try not to even use EXPEDIA anymore as they are an American company (you can tell, cause theyre prohibited from selling anything related to Cuba)