We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please Help...need honest feedback!!!

Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Please Help...need honest feedback!!!

I am trying to plan a trip for family of 6...ages 17,19,22 and us! I keep reading all the reviews on the various resorts and can't decide...they are all starting to blend together. I am nervous about choosing a 4 or 41/s star but the price point is better than a 5 star . So far I have narrowed it down to Breezes Varadero, Barcelo Solymar Arenas, Barcelo Marina Palace, Blau Varadero (if price drops) and Riu Varadero (again if price drops). Any repeat visitors to these resorts input would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please Help...need honest feedback!!!

Out of all the choices you have listed..

My order would be..

Blau, Barcelo Arenas Blancas and then the RIu.

If you want to be closer to downtown Varadero the Barcelo is your best option. I have been to the Blau several times and can honestly say the property is great and so it the staff.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please Help...need honest feedback!!!

If I were you, I would stay at one of the Iberostar Hotels.

We just returned from Iberostar Playa Alameda and were very impressed - with the service as well as the food. We spoke with other travelers from other hotels and it looks like the Iberostar Hotels have a better standard of food and cooking.

Also the grounds are laid out like a resort which seems more intimate than a big hotel. The large rooms are in 3-story bungalows surrounded by beautiful gardens, trees, flowers. Everything is kept very clean, and the service - from the groundskeepers to the maids to the bartenders is absolutely impeccable!

There were many families with teenagers and little kids.

Tongue in cheek, though, I haven't stayed at any other hotel in Cuba, so the only comparison I have are comments from other tourists while on excursions.

Mont Tremblant...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Largo
Level Contributor
6,267 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please Help...need honest feedback!!!

Iberostar Tainos would also be a good option.

I would not recommend the Barcelo Marina Palace though. Barcelo Solymar Arenas has a reputation as quite a party place - are mom and dad ok with that?!

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please Help...need honest feedback!!!

My vote also goes for the Tainos, It's a great overall property.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please Help...need honest feedback!!!

Barcelo Arenas Blancas is a party-hardy spring break esque style hotel... the 17-22 year olds would probably love it but you may not love supervising them! Marina Palace is at the opposite end, figuratively and literally; it's the last hotel on the strip and its pretty deadsville down there. Breezes Bella Costa is a fun resort - great for young people but not quite at the party resort level, there's something for everyone and location is great.

Kuujjuaq, Canada
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
4,511 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please Help...need honest feedback!!!

I'm with Cayolargo and ddcuba the Tainos is an awesome spot. Me and my girlfriend are both early 20s and we loved this place. Not much of a party resort but great for families. There were excellent shows every night but everything is pretty much shut down by 12 for night life. I guess if they want that there are some good clubs in Varadero, never been personally but from what others have said. Like the others have said it depends on what you want. A party place you're better off at Solymar, non party the Tainos was beyong anything I was expecting. Food was great but most importantly you could not get better service and friendliness from the staff(minus the front desk for the most part. Seems ironic the main area of customer service always seems to be the weakest in Cuban resorts lol). Tainos is priced like a 4 star which I you said is important but I felt like the service was more fitting of a 4.5-5 star. Even had waiter service everywhere but the beach, usually the waiter service is reserved for 5 star places.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Please Help...need honest feedback!!!

I have stayed at most of the hotels you listed. My choice would be Blau Varadero, except that I find it expensive. The last hotel preference is Barcelo Marina Palace, frankly overrated, too far from the city and infected with mosquitoes. I used to go to Barcelo Solymar ( 6 times at least) when I was younger and liked to party, I find that as it is too big it provides a very poor customer service . You mention Breezes Varadero. Lately neighbour Breezes Bella Costa has become my favorite resort. The main building looks run down but the villa section it in better shape. The staff is the friendliest one I have seen, the food is acceptable by Cuban standards, there is a popular disco close-by and is relatively close to town. Of course I only book this resort when I see the price is right. (cheaper than Iberostar, Blau or Barcelo)

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
130 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please Help...need honest feedback!!!

Our recommendation would be the Blau, we just love it there and are returning for the seventh time next weekend. Only been to the Barcelo Solymar several years ago and if reviews are correct, it has gone downhill since then. Heard good things about the Iberostar though.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please Help...need honest feedback!!!

The first time we stayed at Breezes Varadero, our son was 16 and daughter 26. We are heading back again in February for our 7th time. Daughter is still coming but due to school, our son cannot. He always liked it there. There was never an issue with food; the beach is fantastic there with volleyball every day and a VERY short walk down the beach to rent kayaks and other water activities; basketball court, tennis courts; the pool has activities; there is a disco; no little kids to annoy the teenagers; there is a games room; you can rent scooters and you can walk into town if you want or take a cab. If any are girls, they can get a manicure or pedicure and all can get a massage. The entertainment staff are fantastic and will keep the young people busy if need be. They also have DVD players in the rooms if really necessary (but I have never seen any movies so you would have to bring some). I speak from experience that there is enough for your family to do and make great memories. Any other questions, just ask.

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Please Help...need honest feedback!!!

We stayed at the Blau Varadero this past May and enjoyed it so very much. There was a group of 8 with the ages ranging from 48 to 8. Everyone had an amazing time.