We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding favours...suggestions

Southern Ontario
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Wedding favours...suggestions

A friend of a friend is getting at a Varadero resort in Feb of 2012. The bride has grand plans to load her luggage with centrepieces, special tokens of appreciation for the wedding party & guests, etc.

I remember reading a thread a couple of years ago (could have been another board because I searched TA and couldn't find it). Does anyone have any helpful hints about what can be found or made in Cuba? I've suggested a bottle of rum with a memorial tag attached; sunscreen with a label with the couples' names & date; etc. If you can give me some more easy hints, the happy couple will not be paying hundreds of dollars in overweight. There must be many brides who have worked their way through the same problem. Appreciate any help received.

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding favours...suggestions

Just an idea, my daughter is giving every guest a Lottery ticket as a favour. She's not getting married in Cuba, but I presume it would be ok to take them to Cuba?

I'm sure it's not everone's cup of tea, but I think it's a great idea. Would not weigh much in her hand luggage, and just imagine if one of the guests won!

Nickie

Montreal
Level Contributor
4,358 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding favours...suggestions

My sister and her husband were married in Varadero and they gave out cigars with memorial tags on them as favors. Was cute :)

Southern Ontario
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding favours...suggestions

Thanks Nickie. Great for your daughter (especially if one of her guests wins the big MILLIONS). This bride, however, is looking for table centrepieces and personal momentos (sp) to give to her guests. I thought there might be something that could be purchased / fabricated while their in Cuba waiting for the nuptials. I'll pass along the lottery idea - Canada has a really big one( $50 million) but it isn't something that you look at 10 years down the road and say "wasn't that great?", unless of course you won!

Southern Ontario
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wedding favours...suggestions

CubaJunkie0913. I suggested that as well. Seems like we're dealing with a very conscientious couple. Completely against tobacco products of any kind. I still like the bottle of rum thing, but please keep them coming.

Montreal
Level Contributor
4,358 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wedding favours...suggestions

Ahh, I hear ya. The rum bottles are a good idea, and very inexpensive to buy there. Sunscreen is also a very beachy wedding idea. IF they go that way though, they have to buy them at home. Sunscreen in Cuba is hard to find and double the price of home!

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wedding favours...suggestions

Ha ha, yes I know what you mean. Was really thinking about the weight thing.

I think the rum idea is nice, and handwritten tags sounds lovely.

Nickie

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
723 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Wedding favours...suggestions

We did these flip flop frames ..

yourultimateweddingfavors.com/big-flipflop-p…

Southern Ontario
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wedding favours...suggestions

Thanks ladies for putting your ideas out there. A neighbour who has never been to Cuba suggested she make up little bags to give to the waitstaff who serve during the wedding dinner. "Tube of toothpast, floss, brush, face cloth, soap, insect repellant..." Other stuff I can't remember, but the crunch was also add a small vial of Cuban sand!! I said, geez they live in Cuba I think they can find there own sand. And the other stuff sounds like the Santa Claus thing. So I suggested a pound of coffee with a pre-printed label commemorating the occasion. That was shot down too.

Montreal
Level Contributor
4,358 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wedding favours...suggestions

Tough crowd. Lol

Southern Ontario
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wedding favours...suggestions

weddingmoonsoon: Thank you for the link; it's going to take a while to go through it, but it gave me some other ideas. I really liked the dolphin sculpture bottle opener - very unique & extremely inexpensive. The problem with this is they would have to ship to Canada (they are a US company) and the happy couple would have to pack them in luggage.

Looking over some of the items, I thought of a wine glass engraved with the couples names; guests could take them home. Etching done in Cuba (?) or here in Canada? Geez, there must be something they can do in Cuba that is unique, memorial and Cuban.