We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to choose a vacation

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How to choose a vacation

My husband and I are looking to go to Cuba in late Oct 2011 for our honeymoon.

We are both in our mid 20s.

We would ideally like something that has a bit of nightlife and fun activities.

I have never been on a vacation, so I am not 100% sure what to look for.

The resorts in our price range are :

Playa De Oro

Be Live Turquesa

Arenas Doradas

Hotel Villa Cuba

Barcelo Solymar

Sol Sirenas Coral

Allegro Varadero

Breezes Bella Costa

Blau Varadero

Breezes Varadero

As you can see, there are a lot of options. They all look so pretty and I am not really sure what the difference is.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to choose a vacation

Out of all the options you have listed the Blau and the Barcelo Solymar are your best options. The Blau being my first pick; The food and service at the Blau is always great, only thing is that their is not much night life. The Barcelo Solymar's advantage is that it's really close to town and various nightlife options.

Edited: 21 September 2011, 20:13
Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: How to choose a vacation

Thanks so much!

I have read great things about Blau and great things about Barcelo Solymar aswell!

How far is Blau from the town?

Montreal
Level Contributor
4,307 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to choose a vacation

I agree with the above post. To my knowledge, the Blau would be considered by most as the best of your list. Its rated quite higher than the rest. If it's in your price range I would say go for it.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to choose a vacation

Take a look at this detailed map of Varadero...

wikimapia.org/…b

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to choose a vacation

October is the key word here. The Blau is a good choice for October as it is one of the more popular resorts at that time. Hard to say how many people can travel these days. Airtransat cancelled all the flights from Vancouver for October. Unsure what is happening out your way or overseas. I've only been to the Blau in November and December (and others in February.) and several of the resorts while walking the beach looked very quiet compared to the Blau.

8 minute taxi ride to town. Longer via the double decker red buses that travel the strip.

Make sure you go with an open mind. Little things can go wrong. Power can go out, sewer back up, shortages of some food items, etc. Some groups of people will be rude,some smoke in non-smoking areas , even if a new born is with you. Way too many bald headed fat guys with hairy backs in speedos that are a couple sizes too small that will stand in front of you and pick up some small sea shells with a cig in their mouth. Mind you ,I can only compare places that I have been to over the last few years such as Cabo, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta(many), Puerto Plata, Tulum, Montego Bay and PlayaDC.

The food is fine. The only people who complain about the food are hippos that crave grease and donuts and always run out of toilet paper in there room. If you breathe during your meal and use utensils, you will enjoy the food. Unfortunately their there may be cigarette smoke with your meal.

Also it is o.k. for a Cuban worker to have a bad day. They can only have nerves of steel so long for what they have to put up with with 'certain groups' of abnoxious tourists. Cubans who work at these resorts earn their money.

Like I say, don't sweat the little things and you will be fine.

Enjoy your trip.

Montreal
Level Contributor
4,307 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to choose a vacation

Transat also cancelled all flights out of Montreal for the month of October, but they didn't leave us stranded. They bumped us all on to their less spacious, less comfortable little sister over here, Canjet. Whatever. I'll fly there in a tin can if it gets me to Cuba. Only problem I have with this particular airline as we seem to always get a 12 year old pilot on his first rodeo, with us as the crash test landing dummies.

I kid you not. It's terrifying! Ahh, 11 dodos to go!

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: How to choose a vacation

Thanks everyone!

We decided to go with the Blau. I have read a lot of great things about the service/food and we figured that if we want nightlife, we can always go out!

Toronto
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to choose a vacation

Email hotel to ensure they know it's your honeymoon; I am sure they will make your stay extra special.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,614 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to choose a vacation

Good choice I was just about to post "don't book your hotel based on location" varadero is a sleepy little town with hot spots...always a cab ride away if you want to go there. I stay near the Blau and have met beach friends that stayed there that were enjoying it

10. Re: How to choose a vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 23:18