We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

take your passport at the hotel ?

nova scotia
14 posts
Save Topic
take your passport at the hotel ?

just reading where they take your passport at hotels and wondering why they do? and should you let them do this

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,303 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: take your passport at the hotel ?

hsppy

You really don't have much choice. I don't know why they do it but we had to turn ours over each time we been to a resort. You could try and give them a photo-copy of your passport, they most likely will accept it. Have fun

Cheers

Waterloo, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: take your passport at the hotel ?

I have never given any hotel my passport, ever, even in Cuba.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
504 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: take your passport at the hotel ?

they will accept a photo-copy and this is the best route to go don't let your real passport out of your hands if you can avoid it.

toronto
Level Contributor
3,032 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: take your passport at the hotel ?

On all my travels to Cuba, never been ask for my passport, but have to provide the passport number.

This does not only happen in Cuba, some European country does it as well. We were ask for our passport in Spain and they kept it overnight.

cardiff UK
Level Contributor
966 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: take your passport at the hotel ?

they always take it in Italy to register with the local police

Elkford, Canada
Level Contributor
661 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: take your passport at the hotel ?

We have been to Cuba four times and have had to turn in our passport overnight 3 of the 4 times. It seems like it is just accepted.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: take your passport at the hotel ?

It happens in many places all over the world. We have left ours for never more than a few hours in Cuba but not in the last 5 years or so. Now they just write the number down.

If you have to leave you passport at the hotel don't worry. It is the safest country in the world to leave it.

If it is hotel policy (and this will be determined by the hotel NOT the Cubans). MOst hotels in Cuba are Spanish or German.

Ancaster,Ont.
Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: take your passport at the hotel ?

We have stayed at Melia Varadero 3 times, (4th in April 2006) and each time they take our Passports and make a Photocopy of them and then give us back our passports. It seems this is their way of making sure you are legit. No worries.

Montreal (Québec)
Level Contributor
855 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: take your passport at the hotel ?

Samething for me, I have been there twice and they took it both times and we had to go and get it the next day!

Alberta
Level Contributor
236 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: take your passport at the hotel ?

Best thing is to give them a photocopy of your passport. You should never leave your passport with anyone for any amount of time. They probably keep them so they can photocopy them too.