We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vaccinations

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
202 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Vaccinations

I was once told that you had to have proof that you've had vaccinations to get into Cuba. Now, I'm kinda nieve about these things sometimes, and I haven't seen anything anywhere on any of the links or anything, for that matter, to back this up. I just want to know for sure.

While we're on the subject, how soon before going should I consult with my doctor or start vaccinations (twinrixx and the like)? I've never had any before for travel and am deciding whether to this time or not. (disclaimer: This is in NO WAY an invitation to chide me or ridicule me so if you have anything to say of this nature just keep it to yourself or I invite others to ignore it as I will)

Thanks for your help :)

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,107 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Vaccinations

You don't need any vaccination to enter Cuba.

You should see your doctor as soon as possible for possible vaccines. Every vaccine is different, so it's hard to tell you how soon you have to go. Just go as soon as you can and you will be sure not to go too late.

Algonquin...
Level Contributor
2,506 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vaccinations

can't say i know much about the health issues of what you need or is recommended

but i have been to cuba five times in two years

never been asked about vaccinations

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vaccinations

I had Twinrix- hep A/B and tetanus booster before I left for the Caribbean.

Dr. recommended them (for me anyway). Speak to your Dr. as you have to have them I think 4-6 weeks before you go.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,361 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vaccinations

Nothing really required in Cuba. To be safe, I had Twinrix done which I believe is Hep A & B. IMHO, you should have it all up to date; call your AHCIP or look online for where to get updated clinics....not just for Cuba...stuff is recurring at home like you would not believe, especially in AB where we have so many non-AB workers during a boom - which is here.

Twinrix, 6 years ago, was 60 days prior (30 days, 30 days; don't recall how long it lasts), but I did first trip with none, second trip, I had both doses. I have not had a repeat, but thanks for the reminder, will check with doc on next visit.

Cambridge, Canada
Level Contributor
1,868 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vaccinations

It all depends on your general health so it's best to go over things with your doctor.

My doc advised me that I just need to make sure that tetanus is up to date.

Toronto
Level Contributor
193 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vaccinations

We're going to March and our doctor recommends the hepatitis shots and Dukoral.

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
455 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vaccinations

I had my shots a few years ago and the Twinrix schedule was a little different, but the guy is doing his immunizations how and his MD recommended Twinrix (first shot, one after 30 days, one after 6 months) and the DPT booster (diptheria-pertussis-tetanus, just one shot) for travel in Latin America and the Caribbean. There's also an accelerated dosing for the Twinrix, but I don't know what it is as the guy had enough time to follow the conventional schedule.

Actually, like my MD, the guy's doc suggested these are pretty good vaccinations to have in Canada too. See what your MD says of course, but that's the advice we got from ours.

K

North Shields...
Level Contributor
308 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vaccinations

Just give your local general practitioner a call - the nurse will be able to book you in and give travel advice.

sherwood park...
Level Contributor
83 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vaccinations

Get your Twinrix shot.....which is both Hep A and B......good for life once you have had them....also much simpler now I believe they are down to one or two shots over a few week time span.....but get them....also you should also have a tetanus shot.....

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,319 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vaccinations

It's always best to check with a travel medicine clinic, as GPs are often not up to date and sometimes give incorrect advice.