We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dophin/Catameran Trip Need To Be A Good Swimmer

Alberta
Level Contributor
236 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Dophin/Catameran Trip Need To Be A Good Swimmer

Want to take the dolphin/catameran trip but am not a good swimmer. Do they provide good life jackets or any at all. Can jump into the middle of the ocean only it I know I have a life jacket on that will save me. Hate to miss out on this experience.

Burlington, Ontario
Level Contributor
694 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Dophin/Catameran Trip Need To Be A Good Swimmer

When I went on the trip out of Holguin, there were tons of life jackets on the catamaran. When you swim with the dolphins a life belt was mandatory and they supplied them. I too am not a strong swimmer and I had no problems what so ever. So, go on the trip and have a blast!

Burlington
Level Contributor
154 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dophin/Catameran Trip Need To Be A Good Swimmer

HI LeftmyheartinCuba

I'm off 3 weeks today I'll be walking the Cayo Coco beach I can't wait... 1st time in Cuba I've always been scared of Castro, I go with an open mind. By the way me too Burlington ONT. T.G.I.F.

Burlington, Ontario
Level Contributor
694 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dophin/Catameran Trip Need To Be A Good Swimmer

Wow Blast! Small world!!! Don't worry yourself. You are going to have a wonderful time. The people in Cuba are the best! It is the main reason I want to go back ASAP.

Burlington
Level Contributor
154 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dophin/Catameran Trip Need To Be A Good Swimmer

Dear LeftmyheartinCUBA

I'm sooo glad to have heard from you because I've been nervous that's why I've never been to CUBA...But I think it's alot of propaganda.

Alberta
Level Contributor
236 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dophin/Catameran Trip Need To Be A Good Swimmer

Hi Blast ! Not sure if I'm missing something here but I have no clue what your response has to do with my question!! Are you sure you are on the right forum. I did ask about the dolphin/catamaram trip.

Montreal (Québec)
Level Contributor
863 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dophin/Catameran Trip Need To Be A Good Swimmer

Yes, a life jacket is mandatory and is provided. No need to be a good swimmer!

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dophin/Catameran Trip Need To Be A Good Swimmer

Hi Wetwilly,

My wife and I took the dolphin/catameran trip and swam with the dolphins. I am not a strong swimmer by any means and a life jacket was not mandatory when we went (March 2005). I made the mistake of not grabbing a jacket or floatation belt from the catamaran. I spent most of my time trying not to get too far from the ladder. Remember there will be many other weak swimmers and you can end up bumping and grinding to get back to the ladder if you start to feel distressed. I highly recommend grabbing a floatation belt or life jacket from the catamaran. Plus if you are one of the first in the water there will be a long line of other people coming down the ladder and they will not appreciate running into you hanging on at the bottom! I thought I'd get in first, have a quick swim and get some pictures then return to the dock to photograph my wife. I ended up treading water while all of the other people came down the ladder. Also, holding on to the side of the dock for a rest doesn't work very well because your legs will naturally pivot under the dock. Obviously you won't get pulled under the dock but it sure feels like you might at the time.

AND after all of the above I'll tell you it was definitely one of the highlights of our trip. I got terrific pictures with one of those disposable waterproof cameras and I now know if my life ever depends on it I can swim for at least 20 minutes!! Grab a vest or belt and go for it!!

FaRuuba

Alberta
Level Contributor
236 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dophin/Catameran Trip Need To Be A Good Swimmer

Thanks for the helpful info. A guess when you go snorkling also you probably won't be wearing a life preserve or else you won't be able to go down. How deep is the water at the location of the snorkling. Sorry for being such a "chicken s--t", but I'm not to proud to admit I AM!!! Thanks for the tip of taking a disposable water camera. Bought one today. We leave on the 17th of March. One more week, but who's counting!!!

Thanks, Wetwilly

Montreal (Québec)
Level Contributor
863 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dophin/Catameran Trip Need To Be A Good Swimmer

You don't even have to go snorkeling! Many people chose not to go and just stayed on the catamaran. Don't go if you don't feel like it! It will last 30 minutes to an hour. Have a nice trip!

Barrie Ontario
Level Contributor
336 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dophin/Catameran Trip Need To Be A Good Swimmer

I agree the catamaran trip is definately a highlight. Bringing your own equipment would be best if you have it. There is not enough on the boat for everyone ..so the snorkelling is done in shifts. I dont know about you but I wouldnt want to be the second person at the other end of the snorkel! There were life jackets available but not mandatory and when you swim with the dolphins make sure you cough up the $10. for the picture they take for you. Its really worth while and every one I saw was great. They deliver it to your hotel the next day. Enjoy..we've been to Cuba 3 times and love it!!!