We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drinking age

dartmouth nova...
Level Contributor
111 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Drinking age

We are booked for the a week in March at the Iberostar laguna Azul (Can't wait!!) and my 17 year old son ( who will be 18 shortly after arriving home) wants to know if he will be served alcohol and allowed in the disco as well.

We have booked as adults , does this make a difference. ?

Edited: 26 October 2011, 23:08
Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
97,856 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drinking age

I suppose it depends on whether they give him an Adults wristband. I would have thought that he would have no problem and he certainly will be able to go to the disco.

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drinking age

Over 16 years of age...Not a problem...

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/SearchForums?ff=99&geo=147275&scope=2&q=drinking+age&returnTo=__2F__&sub-search.x=16&sub-search.y=11

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,286 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drinking age

I'm not 100% sure but the age to buy alcohol is until 18 and apparently drinking age is at 16.

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drinking age

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drinking age

Last March in Holguin my son was 17 and he was booked as an adult. They gave him a child's wristband. My son was none too happy as his two buddies were 18 and received adult wristbands! We questioned it and asked if I could sign an authorization form (like I did previously for my daughter in Punta Cana) and they said NO. He was allowed into the disco but could not be served alcohol. Also, the bartenders would not serve the others in the group if they saw them getting drinks and giving them to him. Anyway, he found an adult wristband at the bottom of the pool and it was clear sailing from then on!

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,106 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Drinking age

There are 2 different things: 1- the law in CUba and 2- the hotel's policy regarding drinking

In Cuba, there is no drinking age. but there is a selling age. It's illegal to sell alcool to anyone under 16. So outside of the hotel, your son will be allowed to buy alcool, go to the discos and clubs, etc.

However, and probably because of the pressure of the tourists, some hotels will not serve alcool to people under 18, others to people under 16, and others will accept to do it with the parent's consent. In some hotels, kids as young as 13-14 were served alcool... So it will depends on your hotel's policy weither your son will be served alcool or not.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
6,060 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drinking age

Hola

Anyway, he found an adult wristband at the bottom of the pool and it was clear sailing from then on!

and Cody was a great driver also....yikes.... and yikes....

cheers.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,380 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Drinking age

“and Cody was a great driver also....yikes.... and yikes....”

Priceless! Thanks for the chuckle. I wonder if he ever did go back to Cuba to face the charges against him?

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drinking age

And then we wonder why .........

LENNY

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Drinking age

We were at the Paradisis in Varadero recently with our 17 year old son. They didn't blink an eye. He was served drinks without question.It's not an issue if he wants a drink he'll get one.