We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trinidad

Halifax
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Trinidad

Planning to visit Trinidad from our stay in Varadero, anyone any thoughts on a day trip or overnight stay, looks quite a long way

Mike

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
5,504 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trinidad

It is a really long way to go or one day. You will spend half the day on the bus.

When I was in Trinidad, I watched the tour groups being shuttled around the various sights and they spent very little time anywhere. There's no time to relax as far as i can see and take in the city.

Staying overnight would certainly be a better option. The casas for rent were on almost every street..

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
390 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trinidad

When I was in Trinidad, there was a day-long trip to Havana (by plane). Some tourists took it and they liked it very much. Maybe there is such a trip FROM Varadero/Havana TO Trinidad?

I agree with Sss...--another possibility would be getting to Trinidad by bus/taxi/car and staying overnight in a casa particular (about 25 CUC per room per night). Last year I went from my resort to Santiago, spent one night in a casa and I had a wonderful time. Think about it--Trinidad is a very picturesque town!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
199 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trinidad

I would like to do this as well but unsure if I want to spend the night in Trinidad. According to Google maps, it's a 3.5 hour drive from Varadero though so spending 7 hrs driving in one day doesn't sound super appealing. Oh the decisions.....

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
5,504 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trinidad

There were loads of casas in Trinidad. Everywhere I looked. I visited a few with someone I met from the Costasur hotel. He was interested in staying for a month or two with his wife. So I followed along out of interest and of course the quality varied. Some were beautiful with rooftop verandas where you could sit and stare at the city.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,410 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trinidad

By the time we got to Trinidad, my stomach was in knots from the long bus ride. The roads aren't the best so it was a bit rough. We walked around and went to lunch at a restaurant in someone's home. The town is interesting but I didn't see anything there that would make me want to stay there for days at a time. We stayed at Brisas del Mar, a beach resort about 30 minutes away. There is a nice Iberostar Hotel in Trinidad itself, in addition to tourist casas in varying condition (I wouldn't stay in one without personal referrals or prior inspection).

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Argassi, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,687 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trinidad

We went to Trinidad as part of the 2 day "Rambo" trip. We spent about 2 hours in Trinidad at the end of the first day & I thought that was a waste of time as we just didn't get the chance to see very much. A lot of places were closing up as we came out as we must have been the last visitors of the day. Also, after spending most of the day on the bus visiting other places we just couldn't do the place justice. Other people who went on the "3 Cities" trip said much the same thing.

I think if we were to go again it would be a couple of days to Trinidad only with a couple of nights in a Trinidad hotel & not as part of an organised trip.

Sault Ste. Marie...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
2,719 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trinidad

I can imagine the bus ride! Went from Trinidad - Santa Clara by car and it was pretty rough!

Definitely more time than a few hours would be warranted. The tours are fast and with all the time spent waiting, eating and on the bus it can be tiresome and frustrating!

LSCats, you can occupy your time for days in the city and surrounding area! There's 2 UNESCO Heritage sights, the most museums per capita of any Cuban city, and excellent hiking/caving/canyoning/bird watching in Topes de Collante. Not to mention you won't find many cities that look like Trinidad :)

The 3 hotels (Ancon, Brisas, Costa Sur) are only a 10 - 15 minute drive.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
6,144 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Trinidad

Right on mel! Including the tremendous night-life of music and dance after all the tourist buses leave.

Terry

Beaminster, United...
Level Contributor
175 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trinidad

dont do the thomas cook over night 3city tour, as said every where of interest is closed by time u get there. it is very rushed, the beds are like sleeping on a camp bed. would not recomend to anyone.

montreal
Level Contributor
616 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trinidad

for that distance of trip you will not experience much if you do it in 1 day, overnight stay or maybe Havana instead