We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dominican vs. Cuba

Ottawa, Canada
4 posts
Save Topic
Dominican vs. Cuba

Hi everyone! I'm looking to book a trip for next June/July. I've been to Dominican once before and loved it! I want to have a nice, romantic trip with my husband (away from the kids!), here's what I'm wondering: I'm trying to decide between a Dreams resort in Dominican OR Barcelo Cayo Libertad in Cuba. I've never stayed in either resort but Dreams looks like what I'm looking for (based on the website) but we were given a recommendation for the Barcelo resort from some friends. Cuba would be a few hundred dollars cheaper, so i'm not sure whether to splurge on the Dreams resort or try Cuba. Any advice? Thanks!

Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
6,440 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Dominican vs. Cuba

Perhaps you might do best to read some of the reviews and then come back with more specific questions.

tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g147275-d1141705…

Hope this helps.

Terry

Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
209 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dominican vs. Cuba

Hi,

I have never been to the Dominican but have many friends who have been to both and hands down Cuba won. We are booked into the Barcelo Cayo Libertad in April. This will be our 8 ( I think - have lost track ) trip and our first to this resort. I have done a great deal of research and this looks like a great place. Just remember this is Cuba and enjoy all your experiences. The people are what make Cuba fantastic. Hope this helps.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
19,148 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dominican vs. Cuba

I have been to DR and Cuba, each is fine in its own way. If I wasn't set on visiting a particular country, I would just compare resorts that come up as possibilities -- read reviews, do forum searches for more info and/or post questions.

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
132 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dominican vs. Cuba

We have been to both the Dominican (Punta Cana and Porta Plata) as well as Cuba (Varadero) and our PERSONAL preferance is Cuba. Both have their good and bad points, but we had to choose again this year and Cuba was what we decided. We love them both and it really comes down to personal preference.

What I may suggest is if you loved the Dominican and for this trip want to stay with what you know then go there. If you want to try something new, then Cuba. I am sure you will enjoy either one.

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
19,148 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dominican vs. Cuba

My personal preference is also Cuba, definitely, even though the food is often worse.

I would return to Samana Peninsula though, yet again... And in Cuba I prefer the Cayos.

Ottawa, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dominican vs. Cuba

I'm curious . . . since the general consensus is that the food is worse in Cuba, then what is it that makes people seem to prefer it over Dominican? Are the beaches better?

Triton, Canada
Level Contributor
404 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dominican vs. Cuba

I've been to both and in my opinion Punta Cana has the best beach and better food. I found the people more friendly in cuba and vendors aren't as pushy. Overall both are very nice, I love visiting both.Been to Puerto Plata, La Romana and Punta Cana in DR and decided to visit ILA in varadero last year for the first time , and I am now booked back to Varadero again this year.By the way you mentioned Dreams , we stayed at Dreams La Romana in DR two years ago and it was a beautiful resort and will return some day.

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Puerto Plata
Puerto Plata
Dominican Republic
Wolfville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dominican vs. Cuba

The food comments for Cuba get to me. Gets my shackles up. It is basically not Americanized and no MacDonalds, etc. It is not fast food or gourmet but as good as you would get home on any ordinary day. All buffets are repetitive.

Could be just me; but I like fresh food and not all fancied up with spices and sauces so I can do fine in Cuba. What we pay for all-inclusive could never cover Michelin style food and chefs.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
919 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dominican vs. Cuba

Maybe you're getting a preference for Cuba over the D.R. because you're posting on the Cuba forum, I don't know if it would be different if you posted on the D.R. forum. Having been to both Punta Cana and Cayo Santa Maria, Cuba, I agree with most of the previous posters. There are pros and cons to both locations and I'd be hardpressed to say which one I liked better. I found the beaches were very comparable. The food at my resort in Cuba was very good, no complaints at all. There were no beach vendors in Cuba who were constantly wanting you to buy for "cheapie cheapie". It's also safer off the resort in Cuba. Be sure to check what the weather will be like in both places at the time of year you're planning to go in case that makes a difference. Otherwise, if you want to try something different and for a cheaper price at that, then I'm sure you'll enjoy Cuba. If you'd like to stick with something that's familiar, then go with the D.R.

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
876 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dominican vs. Cuba

I've been to Punta Cana four times and Cuba four times. My vote is for Cuba. I love the beaches, people, resorts, and everything else better. It's a matter of choice, and I've made mine.

Just to let you know that I was in Cuba twice before I went to Punta Cana four times. I'm back to stay in Cuba.

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic