We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dukoral?

Ontario
Level Contributor
106 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
dukoral?

Hey has anybody taken dukoral before going to Cuba?Is it needed? Should maybe my kids (12 and 15) take it? Nervous about sickness there I was sick in Mexico twice and missed half my trip!!

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dukoral?

I have no idea what the age restrictions are on dukoral, but I took it last year (January 23rd 2011) when DH and I went to Cuba. He did not take it. Neither of us were sick. But to be fair, I have guts of steel.

In the DR I got a little sick one day. I took immodium and pepto bismol, and I felt fine by the end of the day. Ya, one day was a write off, but that's not too bad.

Dukoral usually isn't covered by your drug plan (usually... it might be!) so I would check into that also. You and your health care provider are the best judge for what's best for your family. You know how sensitive their tummy's are. :)

Have a great trip, and I certainly hope that you don't get sick!

Mont Tremblant...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Largo
Level Contributor
6,276 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dukoral?

Dukoral has a very good marketing department! It is a vaccine used to prevent traveller's diahrrea caused by e-coli and cholera only, it will do nothing to prevent any other type of infection (such as gastroenteritis).

Personally, I think it is not needed for Cuba, and I wouldn't give it to my child.

Best prevention is to watch what you eat, wash your hands often, drink lots of water (bottled!), and you can also use probiotics before and during your trips to build up your intestinal flora. Healthy intestines are a key component of our immune system!

Mont Tremblant...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Largo
Level Contributor
6,276 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dukoral?

Another note: Adapting to a new climate and to new food (not to mention to lots of sun and alcool for some people!) is often what causes diarrhea while on vacation.

Immodium is useful if you're sick just before you board a plane, for example, but keep in mind it will prevent your body from evacuating whatever toxins it is trying to get rid of with the diarrhea.

I also take activated charcoal caplets to absorb such toxins if I'm sick (22 trips to Cuba, took them only once!).

Ontario
Level Contributor
106 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dukoral?

I have irritable bowel syndrome... SO I may be prone to intestinal issues.... I will most likely take Dukoral...

My kids kind of have sensitive tummies..I made a dr appt for them just to get dr opinion..they are charging me $50 for TRAVEL ADVICE! Ridiculous! plus the Dukoral is not covered..$86 for each person who takes it.. what to do!! what to do !! ugh!!

Mont Tremblant...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Largo
Level Contributor
6,276 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dukoral?

Again, Dukoral will only work for issues caused by e-coli or cholera - the latter is not prevalent in Cuba.

It will NOT help for any other types of intestinal issues, including any type of stomach virus!

If you all have sensitive tummies, I recommend probiotics, they certainly can't hurt.

Also, don't put it in your head that you will be sick - I firmly believe that the more we worry about something (such as being sick on vacation), the more likely it is to happen! But hey, that's just me!

sherwood park...
Level Contributor
83 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: dukoral?

I have another suggestion for you....my pharmacist did not recommend Dukoral because you are taking something that you may or may not need. She suggested and I have taken Ciprofloxacin in case of a stomach issues...it is a wide spectrum drug for a varity of "below the waist" issues....I have never needed it in Cuba but like poster #3 says sometimes its simply the change in weather, and booze that cause a lot of difficulties....I did need it in Mexico and it worked within the day I was feeling much better...I understand especially with children you need to plan for these kind of issues...

Have a great holiday

Peterborough, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: dukoral?

Last year our dr gave us a prescription for pills that you only take if you become ill. You take them for 3 days but after the first day you are good to go.

I can't remember what they were called but maybe you can ask your dr about those. Also I'm not sure how well they work because no one in our group got sick.

They were covered under our benefits.

BURLINGTON
Level Contributor
775 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: dukoral?

I also have a problem with IBS and was prone to problems when traveling. I tried Dukoral about 10 years ago and in my many trips to Cuba, Mexico and Asian countries have not had a problem since. It just may be, as CayoLargo2 has said, that I feel I'm protected so I don't worry about it now. But I also take Pepto, Imodium and Ciprofloaxcin just in case!!

Mont Tremblant...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Largo
Level Contributor
6,276 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: dukoral?

I've heard that acupuncture can help a lot for IBS - have any of you tried it?

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,525 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: dukoral?

Recommending that someone take an antiobiotic (Cipro) without knowing the cause of "stomach problems" is very irresponsible - especially from a pharmacist! The increase in antiobiotic-resistant bacteria (super-bugs) has been linked to over-prescription and needless prescrition of antibiotics.

People should consult their own health care professionals (and question their recommendations if you aren't comfortable with them or need more information) about what is a good treatment of "stomach issues". For example, I take a probiotic and follow good hygiene, but others may require additional prophylactics.