We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to bring to give to the locals

Vancouver, Canada
8 posts
Save Topic
What to bring to give to the locals

My first going to Cuba (Varadero/Havana) in a week & a half. Heard that they really appreciate such things as soap, makeup, toothbrushes, school supplies and would like to bring whatever I can. Anything else specific that they would find useful that's hard to come by down there? Thanks in advance.

New Brunswick...
14 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What to bring to give to the locals

sandiso:

All items you suggested would be helpful. I might add:

maple syrup, chocolate(like m&m's), shampoo, deodorant, any personal items, ball caps, insulated coffee mugs, band-aids, baseball size rubber balls, crayons, coloring books, cups with lids for toddlers, really most anything we take for granted.

We filled a duffle bag with dollar store items and filled a backpack for trips to Varadero - passed these items out to kids on the street. It was great. They have so little and what they need is so expensive or unavailable.

Victoria BC
Level Contributor
960 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What to bring to give to the locals

Decent makeup/nail polish, perfume samples, barrettes, hair ties, feminine hygiene stuff, small toys, analgesics (asprin, ASA, Ibuprofen), kids chewable vitamins, kids flavored cold remedy, kids analgesic, single type adult vitamins (C, A, E, B complex etc.), adult cold remedy (Cubans get colds too!), reading glasses, ziplock bags/containers (it's humid there, good to store stuff in), those cloth grocery bags are a great idea for when people go to the local farmers market (bags are not provided there), sewing stuff....guitar strings and picks for musicians...the list goes on....

Sudbury, Ontario
Level Contributor
803 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to bring to give to the locals

Tylenol is something that no amount of money can buy in Cuba – unless it is on the black market – as it is make in the US. This is something that people we spoke with wanted. Shoes, along with most other things can be purchased in Cuba but as with everything else they are very expensive. So if you have any that are gently worn they would be appreciated.

We took all of the above with us along with some chocolate & many different first aide supplies.

Enjoy your holiday!

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to bring to give to the locals

Hi sandiso"

It's really great that you are taking things for the children, but I wanted to mention one thing..The kids along the Veradaro strip-1st ave, get alot of things daily from the tourists as you can well imagine. A short cab ride outside the area will get you to areas that don't do so well. If you are going to Havanna, take some things with you.

Also Mantanzas along the way has an orphanage as well as many not so fortunate children and locals. I think your items would be much appreciated there..

have fun.....

durham england
Level Contributor
427 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to bring to give to the locals

tylenol what is the equivelent in england

5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: What to bring to give to the locals

We brought advil and it was appreciate

Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What to bring to give to the locals

tylenol = acetaminophen

Vancouver, Canada
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What to bring to give to the locals

Awesome suggestions !! I'll round up whatever I can and take my biggest suitcase. Like the idea of going off the beaten path where people don't often get stuff from the tourists. Thanks everybody !!

Ashford Middx
Level Contributor
75 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to bring to give to the locals

ali47

Paracetamol/codeine is pretty close.

HKA

montreal
Level Contributor
189 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to bring to give to the locals

Hi there sandiso..I just got back last week (I am so very jealous!!!) and one thing that I noticed is that alot of people in Cuba are wearing Canadian Flag pins...you know the kind they give out everywhere around Canada Day?..They seem to be very proud to have them...So if you have a couple of pins around, or if you have time to call your local govt office I am sure you will find some happy takers!!! Have a BLAST!!!