We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

varadero airport renovations

nova scotia
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Topic
varadero airport renovations

Hi, We are landing in varadero at 11:30 pm, was wondering if bagaage and customs are any faster then a year ago?? landing so late and wanting to get to jibacoa asap. Anyone see any difference???

Thanks for any info

Algonquin...
Level Contributor
2,946 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: varadero airport renovations

I have never really been delayed at J G Gomez.

Maybe I have just been lucky so far.

I have been there since the renos and did not notice a change in speed one way or the other.

Hope that helps.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: varadero airport renovations

Since the New Year I know lots of people who've arrived via Varadero and it's all down to dumb luck, as always. 15 minutes to over 2 hours. Roll of the dice dependant on many, many factors that are out of your control.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Terry

Selkirk, Ontario
Level Contributor
566 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: varadero airport renovations

Two hours of good grief! Unreal...I guess they go by Cuban time--that must be slower...LOL! We get into Varader in the evening too....hope it is quick.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: varadero airport renovations

The biggest factor (by far) is whether there's other flight arriving at the same time... especilly just ahead of you...

Cheers,

Terry

Selkirk, Ontario
Level Contributor
566 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: varadero airport renovations

Sadly there will be a few flights in and around the same time....drat! Oh well not missing any sun time :D

Algonquin...
Level Contributor
2,946 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: varadero airport renovations

oh boy sounds like I was just lucky.

Hope I didn't jinx myself.

Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: varadero airport renovations

Can you please provide a link to where you find out how many other flights are arriving?

Thank you!

Muskoka Ont.
Level Contributor
109 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: varadero airport renovations

last we landed at the same time as 2 others , took forever

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
385 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: varadero airport renovations

p_sylvain:

Try this link. It works for departures & arrivals, but only on a day to day basis. I dont think there is a site that will tell you days in advance how many flights are coming in or taking off.

http://www.varadero-airport.com/arrivals.html

Selkirk, Ontario
Level Contributor
566 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: varadero airport renovations

Basically when I was searching on Tripcentral.ca for dates/pricing etc I realized a couple flights were about 5 to 10 minutes apart. I am travelling with Air Transat and Air Canada is about 5 minutes ahead. I think Sunwing and maybe even CanJet...It is starting to get busier now with Univ. breaks.