We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what is the best insect repellent to buy

wales
Level Contributor
44 posts
4 reviews
8 helpful votes
what is the best insect repellent to buy

hi going to varadero may 24th for 2wks 1st time in cuba can anybody tell me what is the best insect repellent to buy and any tips if we have any bits regards steve

Ontario
Level Contributor
2,276 posts
1 review
20 helpful votes
1. Re: what is the best insect repellent to buy

bar none for being effective ....something with deet. but then there is a trade-off as deet is a neurological toxic

Llanelli, United...
Level Contributor
10,751 posts
164 reviews
202 helpful votes
2. Re: what is the best insect repellent to buy

Hi,can't say about your bits! If you mean bites,rub some alcohol gel/or neat alcohol on them.As for repellant-Home Bargains sell X pellent(very cheap) & we found it worked really well 2 wks ago.Whatever you buy,make sure it's got DEET in it.Wish we were going back or even still there as we got home on friday & had a great time.Sure you will too.Enjoy,regards from West Wales.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
21 reviews
34 helpful votes
3. Re: what is the best insect repellent to buy

I swear by a zapper.if you get bitten you hold it over the bite then press the button and it gives an electric charge to the area and stops the itching.Most repellents to me are not very efficient as I still get bitten,so I always carry my trusty zapper with me.You can get them in boots.

Ian.

Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
105 posts
2 reviews
14 helpful votes
4. Re: what is the best insect repellent to buy

I always use Boots own make insect repellent with deet - the one in the silver grey bottle. I have never been bitten whilst using that and would not hesitate to recommend it.

If I have missed to put any on at any time and then have been bitten I use the Boots bite and sting relief pen. It has amonia in it and stops the itching straight away for me.

Northleach, United...
Level Contributor
713 posts
64 reviews
84 helpful votes
5. Re: what is the best insect repellent to buy

I've found no repellent is any good for me, I still get bitten like hell yet no one else in our party does. I think it must be my rare blood they like.

Llanelli, United...
Level Contributor
10,751 posts
164 reviews
202 helpful votes
6. Re: what is the best insect repellent to buy

Another idea maybe take a course of garlic(odourless if you prefer).apparently that works for some.Also,vitamin b supplements are supposedly a repellent for mossies.An extreme measure-trap a lizard & keep it in your room-that should do it if all else fails!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
7 reviews
8 helpful votes
7. Re: what is the best insect repellent to buy

Hi, sand flies and mossquittos love me three years ago in jamaica my doctors bill was sky high i had been eaten alive, on my return i was determind it wasnt going to happen again so i scoured the internet to find something that would help me, I came across Mosquitto Milk, gave it a try in mexico and was well pleased with the result no bites again last year in cyprus and tunisia, so im packing it again for varadero and i hope the little blighters are kept away. Its not available over the counter in England but i get it from chemist direct online i always take a after bite amonia pen also just in case and i carry a insect repellant sounding device of an evening attached to my evening bag cant have my holiday spoilt anymore. I also use boots soltan sun cream that has insect repellant in it this all sounds exsessive but in the past my holidays have been ruined .

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
125 reviews
224 helpful votes
8. Re: what is the best insect repellent to buy

Personal experience, buy theres over there (cuba) Not too expensive and bigger bottles. But i swear by taking vitamin b1 4 weeks before travelling and whilst there. just one a day.

I used to get eaten alive and when i started taking b1 didnt get one bite

Sault Ste. Marie...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
9. Re: what is the best insect repellent to buy

Deep Woods Off....works the BEST! We have lots of flies here in Northern Ontario, and this repellant keeps them all away. Have a great trip!

Largo, Florida
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
6 reviews
41 helpful votes
10. Re: what is the best insect repellent to buy

Hi folks-Deep Woods off works great. Bugs are really attracted to Cologne and Perfume plus dark clothing.

© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.