We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trips out of Varadero - your experiences please

UK
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Trips out of Varadero - your experiences please

We are staying in Varadero at the beginning of July. Have been looking at the trips available and would like to hear how you got on before we make our bookings. Did you enjoy it, was it worth the money, did you book through the hotel/tour rep/go on your own in a taxi? Look forward to hearing from you all!

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
2,709 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trips out of Varadero - your experiences please

This year we did a private tour of Havana - it was well worth the money and we got to see so much more this time than we did on the bus tour from the resort.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,368 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trips out of Varadero - your experiences please

Being from Canada we did the Havana tour through our tour operator. Had a blast. We booked the add on Tropicanna. Been to Cayo Blanca on the catamaran. Was great. We've also ben to Trinadad with our tour op. Well worth the trip.

Cheers

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trips out of Varadero - your experiences please

Go to Havana on your own....it is WELL worth it, and you are not limited to the time/schedule of a Tour. See the 2nd reply on this Posting tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g147275-i99-Varade… .

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,681 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trips out of Varadero - your experiences please

I love seeing Havana at my own speed, I never go on a tour. It is well worth the time and money to spend at least a day in Havana and IMO a private tour is the way to go, you get to see what you want to see, for as long as you want to see it. I have taken the catamaran tour a couple of times (to Cayo Blanco), it is a good value IMO although the snorkelling is not the best when there are a ton of other catamarans all crowded around at the same time, you don't get much room to swim around. I enjoyed the catamaran tour we booked out of Guardalavaca a lot more. The jeep tour was very informative and you get to see a great deal of the countryside. It is a very long day though.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trips out of Varadero - your experiences please

Definitely ensure you make your way out to Havana, If you don't you will regret it! it's a fascinating and unique city!

BC
Level Contributor
351 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trips out of Varadero - your experiences please

Hi this Peyman with Club Scubazul,

July is one of the hottest month to visit Cuba. If you are hiring a taxi, make sure that it has efficient AC, specially if you have kids and in Havana excursion.

My favorite excursion is Cruise del sol to Cayo Blanco on a catamaran.

Don't miss snorkeling and/or diving as Cuba is one of the best places for these activities.

Have a great vacation,

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trips out of Varadero - your experiences please

Havana under your own steam is much better than an organised trip. Just by a good info book like rough guide to Havana which is really useful. More locally , matanzas city is worth a day out., with pharmacy museum, cathedral and the renovated Valesco hotel do great cocktails and food. It's a nice place to get a real feel for Cuban life. on the way you pass rio canamar,where you can take a speed boat out on the river,buy a drink and snack,and cheep as chips to get in. The caves are also worth a visit, either in matanzas or vardero .

8. Re: Trips out of Varadero - your experiences please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 08:42