We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 CUCs for tipping

Ely, UK
Level Contributor
409 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
1 CUCs for tipping

I am heading to PV on Wednesday so excited. I know to change money at the airport for best rates I am just wondering how to ensure you get plenty Of 1 CUCs or 5s for tipping?

TIA

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,405 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 CUCs for tipping

You just ask for it, they will give you some. And at the hotel, most waiters/barmen will gladly exchange your 5-10CUC for 1CUC.

Beaminster, United...
Level Contributor
175 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 CUCs for tipping

Wouldn't of thought air port was best place to exchange money.. sure was not advice was given last yr.

Please correct me if I am wrong anything to make money go further

Kuujjuaq, Canada
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
4,519 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 CUCs for tipping

Just depends on the airport I guess adam. This year in Cayo Coco the airport exchange was 94 cents for every Canadian $. Luckily there was a bank beside our resort that was about 98.5 on every dollar. Banks are always going to be the best rate, generally airports come in second and resorts the worst. Also depends on the resort because last year at the Tainos we pretty much got on par, the bank was .02 better.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,405 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 CUCs for tipping

The best exchange rate is at a bank. But the rate that you will get at a aiport cadeca is only a bit less, and the difference is so slim that, unless you plan on exchanging thousands of dollars, it will not make a real difference.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
2,039 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 CUCs for tipping

I use this site to check on what the exchange rate is...and then at least know what I should be getting, approximately. Having exchanged money at the airport cadeca and the cadeca on our resort, we find the exchange rate is pretty much the same.

bc.gov.cu/Espanol/tipo_cambio_METROPOLITANO.…

Denise

Edited: 01 June 2012, 22:37
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 CUCs for tipping

Note that CAD as have some other major currencies has taken a real dive recently against the USD (approx. 5% in past 30 days) and hence the CUC so today as per Saskatoon's link 100 CAD more like 94CUC.

Edited: 02 June 2012, 07:31
Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
102,119 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 CUCs for tipping

Fidel:

I'm crying into my coffee over the current exchange rates. Sterling was 1.56526 when I left on May 5th now it's only 1.49389.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 CUCs for tipping

when you think of it,you are not going to miss out on that much of a difference.You are going to an all inclusive resort and won't be spending too much cash(trips should go on the credit card).If you were exchanging thousands then maybe you would notice it,but to me,a 2/3 weeker is not worth the hastle.

Ian.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
102,119 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 CUCs for tipping

Ian:

I take your point, but to someone like me, an independent traveller, who has to pay for his accommodation, food, drink, entertainment and car hire (if needed) in Cuba it makes a considerable difference.

Furthermore, I treat it similar to an investment where I want to get the best rate obtainable. That's just me though.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 CUCs for tipping

That is exactly my point bellagio.People going all inclusive would hardly notice the difference,but travellers like yourself,where everything has to be paid for,WOULD notice.

I take £300 spending money,my wife the same,but our trips go onto our Post office credit card(thanks for that info bellagio).My money is only for tips and cigars,my wife always has a fair bit going home.

But yes,the independant traveller would notice a difference for sure.

Ian.

Edited: 02 June 2012, 11:01