We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best advice for a kid friendly/family friendly resort

Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
best advice for a kid friendly/family friendly resort

Need some help with a kid friendly resort in Varadero..or anywhere in Cuba. Child is 4 yrs old. We are wondering if resorts in Cuba or Varadero have any waterslides or activities for that age. Thank you, We need all the help.

Kuujjuaq, Canada
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
4,514 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best advice for a kid friendly/family friendly resort

You can't go wrong with any of the Iberostar properties as they are geared towards families and will all offer babysitting services and kids pools. Here's my take on them.

-Iberostar Tainos: My favourite property in Cuba. Nice little small resort(about 300 rooms total). Really friendly staff and lots of activities from the Star Friends(entertainment team). The resort has a great layout and would be a nice option, especially if you don't have a fortune to spend. One of the most solid 4 * properties you will find. Ranked #6 on Tripadvisor.

-Iberostar Laguna Azul: Lower end 5 star property with 8 swimming pools and quite large at 800 rooms. Probably a little less personalized service but more food options and specialty restaurants. Also a very new resort. Ranked #8 on Tripadvisor.

-Iberostar Playa Alameda: 4.5 star resort. I know the least about this one as it was the only Iberostar I never visited. Also about 300 rooms. Not as good of reviews as the Tainos or Laguna Azul but still very solid. Ranked #11 on Tripadvisor.

-Iberostar Varadero: The top ranked resort in Varadero, about 300 rooms. Great stretch of beach and really nice dining options. Only thing against this place is it will cost you an arm and a leg. If you have the money to spend sure go for it if you don't I would look at the other three.

Just depends what kind of resort you are looking for and what your budget is. The Tainos would be my suggestion to you for value and comfort.

Only place that has a waterslide in Varadero that I can think of is Memories Varadero which was formerly Sirenis La Salina. Not as highly rated but who knows what will happen with it now under new management.

Edited: 15 July 2012, 14:46
Mont Tremblant...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Largo
Level Contributor
6,299 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best advice for a kid friendly/family friendly resort

For a 4-year old, the kids section at the Tryp Peninsula is just fabulous. Large shallow pool, with a water slide coming down a "fort", playground with a pirate ship, kids club and snack bar where kids can order their own snack, juice or... ice cream! Loungers and shade all around for mom and dad, lobby bar is a 2-minute stroll to refill your beer or alcoholic drink.

Mont Tremblant...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Largo
Level Contributor
6,299 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best advice for a kid friendly/family friendly resort

Another option, depending when you're travelling and where which city you are leaving from, is the Sol Pelicano in Cayo Largo. Great kids pool, with two water slides (appropriate for a 4 year old). Not as great as the Tryp's kids section, but very nice too. And the resort is only 5 minutes away from the airport, a huge plus! There is also a turtles farm at the village - kids usually love it.

Finally, the Iberostar Ensenachos is a great option, it has a brand-new small water park which would be perfect for a 4-year old, but the ride to the airport is a good 90 minutes.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best advice for a kid friendly/family friendly resort

My go-to recommendation for friends travelling to Cuba with families is the Iberostar Playa Almeda. My neighbours actually just got back with their 2 year old and their elderly parents and everyone loved it, they couldn't get over how kid-friendly the staff were. The hotel also did a big revamping in the summer of 2010, most of the rooms were refreshed with new matresses, etc. and it's down at a quiet end of the beach. If you have a larger budget, the Iberostar Varadero is always a winner.

I'd recommend staying away from the RIU or the Memories; their huge properties with a ton of walking, the RIU in particular is very new so that landscaping hasn't matured and shade is a major issue.

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: best advice for a kid friendly/family friendly resort

Hey! We are planning on travelling down to Varadero the last week of September with our 3 small chilren as well. We have taken our little ones with us for the last 3 years when travelling and this will be their first time to Cuba. In all honesty just read the reviews and pick a resort you like. Your little one will have a blast no matter where you go. We have been to Gran Bahia Principe Punta Cana, Ocean Sands ( Punta Cana ) and Riu Cabo San Lucas ( Mexico ) with our little ones and many other resorts with just my husband and myself. None of the resorts we have been to were specifically geared towards children and they never wanted to leave. We had asked our girls, who are 5 and 8 this year, and have been to Disney World, if they would like to do Disney again this year or try another Carribean Island and they both wanted to go back down south :) We are planning on flying out either the last week of September to Varadero. I have read a million reviews as I'm on maternity leave and have the time, and the Iberostar Varadero, Iberostar Playa Almada, as well as the Iberostar Laguna Azul all seem great. As long as you take sandbuckets and floaties for the pool your little one will have a blast! If you have any questions or would like any advice to make your trip easier just message me. This year should be a bit mroe challenging for us as we now have a 7 month old son too lol

6. Re: best advice for a kid friendly/family friendly resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2013, 10:17