We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paradisus Princesa del Mar vs Paradisus Rio de Oro

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,993 posts
Save Topic
Paradisus Princesa del Mar vs Paradisus Rio de Oro

Found a great rate for PPDM for later this month, but the recent reviews are quite mixed (especially about the food and the rooms). We stayed at PRDO a few years ago for a wedding and thought the food was terrific and the service very good (rooms and beach were less impressive).

Most travel agencies categorize both as 5 star resorts (for Cuba, I know). Can anyone who's been to both relatively recently comment on whether PPDM is at the same level of PRDO?

Thanks!

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paradisus Princesa del Mar vs Paradisus Rio de Oro

It's definitely not at the same level, At least from what I have experienced in the past. I have stayed at both and both are amongst the best in Cuba, Although the PRDO is just hard to beat, It's managed better than the Princesa.

Wellow, United...
Level Contributor
2,830 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paradisus Princesa del Mar vs Paradisus Rio de Oro

If you stayed at the PRDO as well, it may not have had its Royal Service side then, now that is even another experience!!! Its breath takingly beautiful :)

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,993 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Paradisus Princesa del Mar vs Paradisus Rio de Oro

There's no Royal Service being offered right now at PPDM. I just looked at some videos of the resort on YouTube and it looks gorgeous. I'm having a hard time reconciling what I'm seeing with what I'm reading in some of the reviews. Gah... this is so frustrating...

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paradisus Princesa del Mar vs Paradisus Rio de Oro

I much prefer the Princesa del Mar. I've stayed at both, love both, but find the PRDO too isolated, I prefer to be in Varadero and closer to my friends in Matanzas & Havana. Both hotels are run by Paradisus/Melia, actual GM for the Princesa del Mar changed about 2 years ago and he's amazing. There are some Royal Service rooms still open at the Princesa but official Royal Service isn't being offered until the new suites are finished; they're building an addition 200+ Royal Service rooms, most to have private pools, and addition amenities for the resort. We were there about 3 weeks back and construction was a non issue, it's still my favourite resort in Cuba.

Playa, Ciudad de la...
Level Contributor
7 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paradisus Princesa del Mar vs Paradisus Rio de Oro

i recommended PRDO...its better

Whitby, Canada
Level Contributor
130 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paradisus Princesa del Mar vs Paradisus Rio de Oro

We've been to both . PRDO was significantly better for us and we hope to go back. As others have mentioned, the Royal Service is amazing.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,993 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Paradisus Princesa del Mar vs Paradisus Rio de Oro

Thanks for the feedback. We ended up booking a week at Royal Hideaway Playacar in Mexico which, if you can believe it, was actually less expensive than a week at Paradisus in Cuba! (Flying out of Detroit on Delta instead of with a Canadian charter out of Toronto).

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paradisus Princesa del Mar vs Paradisus Rio de Oro

Not surprised really... all 4 of my trips to Cancun this year cost me less than what I paid for Varadero in July, the days of Cuba being the super cheap option seem to be behind us. You've picked a great resort, as much as I love Cuba I would've made the same choice

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
111 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paradisus Princesa del Mar vs Paradisus Rio de Oro

We were there (PDM) 2 years ago and considering it again, but concerned that the junior suites may be getting really tired and rundown.. can you comment on that please?

Edited: 06 November 2012, 13:28
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paradisus Princesa del Mar vs Paradisus Rio de Oro

I've ended up in the Royal Service section the past few visits so I can't comment too much on the Junior suites... we did get a hospitality room this time and it didn't seem run down, some of the lights were burnt out but I imagine that's why it was being used as a hospitality room vs guest suite. There were painters and plasterers in and out of all the buildings through our entire stay and none of the common areas are showing any signs of aging if that helps. There is a rumour (from a fairly reliable source) that once the new Royal Service section is reopened in March, repeat guests will be given promotional pricing and possible free upgrades to check out the new buildings, as soon as I hear something more concrete I'll post it on here.