We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we travel to Varadero? Or somewhere else???

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Should we travel to Varadero? Or somewhere else???

Cuba vacation! Leaving from Montreal, mid-late October.

Yet another travel vacation question! I'm trying to plan a 7-10 day Cuban couple's vacation in mid-late October, leaving from Montreal, Canada. Where should I look?

We've both been to Varadero, Cuba, with day trips to Havana before, and loved it. What I liked about Varadero was the stunning beach, and that my hotel was a close walk into town (I don't like being sequestered on a resort). It was great to be relatively close to Havana and being able to see the historic sights of a city with such rich history. And finally, the price was right. I'm tempted to return to Varadero, as it's been 7 years since I've been, and go back again to Havana as I don't feel I saw nearly enough of such a fascinating place.

So, my question is, are there other spots in Cuba that echo what I liked about staying in Varadero? Or should we just go back to Varadero and spend some more time relaxing and seeing more of Havana? My main criteria is: decent hotel on the beach (3 to 4 stars), cheap, a few things to see walkable from the hotel, and the possibility to do interesting day trips (historic sites, stunning landscapes, and/or unmissable glimpses into Cuban life). Not so interested in things like cigar factory tours or swimming with dolphins.

Places that have popped up on my radar to see include Cienfuegos and Trinidad, any ideas of where to stay nearby to see these places? I've also seen the areas of Holguin and Guardalavaca come up in my hotel searches - anything interesting to do in these resort areas?

So, should I book another trip to Varadero? Somewhere else in Cuba? Or even somewhere else in the Caribbean? I also welcome recommendations for sites for comparing the cheapest prices (I've been using redtag.ca). Thank you in advance for all your suggestions! :)

Teignmouth, United...
Level Contributor
489 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we travel to Varadero? Or somewhere else???

If you haven't been to Havana for 7 years, i'd definately go again... so much has been renovated/restored... which pretty much answers where to stay... Varadero, for it's proximity to the capital...

ATB,J.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
6,060 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we travel to Varadero? Or somewhere else???

I agree with merseygull, although you mentioned Trinidad as well. If I had to think of another destination that meets your criteria, Trinidad would be it. There are a number of resorts to choose from on Playa Ancon which is a 10kms away from Trinidad.

It's best that you read the reviews, look at the pics, and consider the geography and available excursions there to make up your own mind. You might even consider staying in town one day and night in a casa particular to really savour the flavour.

tripadvisor.ca/Hotels-g285731-Trinidad_Sanct…

Terry

3. Re: Should we travel to Varadero? Or somewhere else???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 03:17